2014 Largemouth Report

Well, we had a good fishing season on Lake Murray in 2013 and looking forward to more in 2014! We should have some outstanding fishing again, especially with lake being lowered to improve water quality and kill some of the nasty grass that was growing on the bottom.
Overall pattern that holds true on Murray any time is fishing transition areas like points, underwater humps, and rough patch areas near deep water (even in pockets/creeks), especially with blue back herring/shad in near proximity. With the absence of most grass, find ?good rock?, stumps, and brushpiles are key areas bass will hold around waiting to ambush bait. Hopefully, you had time to find areas with lake being approx. 8 feet low this Winter; I know I added approx. 1000 waypoints on my Lowrance HDS units. For baits, a Buckeye Magnum shakeyhead trick worm in brown color is hard to beat year round. I like the 3/16 or ? oz size and throw on a baitcaster myself.
After the spawn and we get into the suspended bite, the topwater plugs, flukes, and swimbaits are hard to beat. As mentioned before, finding the bait is the key, then bass won?t be too far behind. Good electronics use and watching for the various bird activity can place you in the right area, but in my experience it can change from day to day, where you find a wad of bass and next day a ghost town; thus best to keep moving and be flexible each new day.
If I can help anyone out, feel free to give me a buzz. I mainly focus on largemouth, but mess with the stripers also with artificials. Capt Chris

[/URL]

[/URL]