2014 Largemouth Report

Well, 2013 was another great year for largemouth bass fishing on lake Marion. Look forward to a banner year in 2014!

Overall and throughout the year, I find my best success finding some deeper water ditches, channels, etc. (approx. 4-6 feet of water) and fishing the heavy, but scattered cover near it in 1-4 feet. Santee can be overwhelming with its size and plenty of cover, but I find best fishing areas can be found using your marine electronics and setting back and looking for the most prominent cover that has plenty of edges for bass to ambush prey (i.e. ? three cypress trees by itself off a point versus a big row of cypress trees in a forest). Also, just like when fishing docks, you shouldn?t necessarily focus on the docks, but what is under the water (secondary point coming out, deeper water near bank, brush pile/log/stump). Once you catch a fish, then repeat this pattern in the area you are fishing, but don?t waste your time on unproductive areas in between.

Another key factor I have found is to seek the cleanest water in the area you can find. The sudden flow of muddy water really shuts the fishing down in an area, which occurs often with rains, raising/lower lake, etc. If water is normally stained where you fish, then you?re okay.

Common bass patterns can be broken down depending on the area of the lake you fish:

Upper Marion
Cypress/willow trees, stumps, logs, and pads (floating heart and lily) are the main structure in this part of the lake. There is a ton of hyacinths in the lake, but recommend fishing scattered areas with baitfish present and fish the holes/edges. Topwater lures, frogs, spinnerbaits, squarebill crankbaits, and rattling/vibrating baits all have their place at times, but best lure is any plastic worm such as trick, swim, senko stick style or traditional ribbon tail worms all work. I find that changing colors of worms until you happen onto what they like, but keep changing if traditional colors like green pumpkin, junebug, etc. aren?t working.

Lower Marion
Sha

Thanks for sharing your insights Capt. Chris.