2015 garden stuff

After three years these old collard plants had to go. Many a meal off them. Old faithful garlic is up, onions, kale, radish, more collards and cabbage growing now. Just finished cutting up my seed potatoes to “scab” over and they go in the ground next weekend along with, Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, and a gambled first row of sweet corn. The first of April will be butter beans, field peas, more sweet corn, squash, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and okra. With Easter being early I’ll take the gamble on a late frost, Seed is pretty cheap and worth it if we get an early crop! Oh yea, the wife’s ornamental pumpkins and squash.

Ordered some English Walnut trees and will try my luck with kiwi’s. Wife and I planted 110 cedar trees as a boarder last week. This cold hasn’t been very influential in starting the Garden, but it is that time!

Hope all my fellow gardeners have a great season! Nothing like fresh vegetables and knowing you grew them. Kind of like catching a mess of fish and having them fresh that same day!

I feel the same way! I think the worm will turn next week. I am banking on Spring being here after the 10th with no more frosts. Might be wishful thinking, but I am ready to get the spring veggies in the ground. If I’m wrong, seed is cheap and transplants can be covered. I know I am getting old when working in the dirt has my attention as much as anything in the water.

Plant you some Greasy Back Green Beans with your corn to give them something to grow on. Greasy Back Green Beans are some of the best(IMO) but most people have never heard of them.

Check out Accuweather’s 30 day forecast. Most likely it is nowhere near accurate, but one can hope.

Y’all talking about planting your seeds directly in the ground or starting them indoors and then transplanting?

The first rule of fight club is…

I buy plant sets of tomatoes, peppers (bell, mammoth jalapenos, chili), broccoli, sweet potato and cabbage. Everything else is seed. I use our local feed store for seeds. .50 cents gets you a lot more than the small packages at Wally world and such.

Don’t plant spring veggies until after Easter… just sayin’…

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

I buy plant sets of tomatoes, peppers (bell, mammoth jalapenos, chili), broccoli, sweet potato and cabbage. Everything else is seed. I use our local feed store for seeds. .50 cents gets you a lot more than the small packages at Wally world and such.

Ever find any Greasy Back Green Beans seeds at your store?

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Don’t plant spring veggies until after Easter… just sayin’…

That will be the first week of April this year.

Sugar snaps are a couple inches high, potatoes have been in the ground for 12 days, onions planted 3 weeks ago.

quote:
Originally posted by UT_VOLS13

Plant you some Greasy Back Green Beans with your corn to give them something to grow on. Greasy Back Green Beans are some of the best(IMO) but most people have never heard of them.

Where can said beans be found?

Double D.

I got some from these guys and was very happy. Now we just save some beans from previous years and grow them again. We always plant them in with the corns as it gives the beans something to climb on. You will love them. Also, they have strings that will have to be removed. I like a 1/2 runner also.

http://appalachianheirloomplantfarm.weebly.com/bean.html

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Fred67

Ever find any Greasy Back Green Beans seeds at your store?
[/quo

This is the first I’ve heard of them. I’ll let you know. After doing a quick search sounds like some good stuff.

I’d love to put them in the corn but it gets chopped done to make way for the wife’s fall pumpkins.

Oh the Garlic!!!

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:

Checked with three different feed stores yesterday and no one has heard of the greasy back green bean.

Sell’s, should have plenty of garlic to give you this year.

Taters planted hoping they don’t rot with all this water, waiting on April for most everything else. This mornings walk sure was nice!! It’s amazing how much fun throwing a stick in the water and having a dog retrieve it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Checked with three different feed stores yesterday and no one has heard of the greasy back green bean.

Sell’s, should have plenty of garlic to give you this year.

Taters planted hoping they don’t rot with all this water, waiting on April for most everything else. This mornings walk sure was nice!! It’s amazing how much fun throwing a stick in the water and having a dog retrieve it is.

LOL, I thought that would be the case. You need to get some and give them a try. You will not be disappointed; I promise. I like them or a 1/2 runner.