2017 Duramax 2500 DEF sensor

Hey Fred, as well as others,

Bought 2017 Duramax and it’s been at dealer all day due to engine light being on. Problem with the DEF tank sensor. DEF tank level not giving info on dash as well.

Sheesh, took there at 9 am today for 10am appt after going there last week for a scheduled appt. but the lady that scheduled messed up as diesels need to be scheduled at other times when the proper mechanics are there…WTH.

Dude calls me back finally after couple calls for update. Tells me will be tomorrow as they have parts in stock, but are backed up. I was like, I dropped it off with an Appt and 9 hours later this is what I am told, they had already pulled codes week before…Said 5 to 6 hour job as they have to replace entire DEF tank the way it is built…and will be tomorrow. Not even started on it, Sheesh.

Thankfully, I bought the extended warranty 7 year/70k when I bought this and was chastised for doing so on here. I started thinking they were right until now, 62k miles on it. Not sure what this would cost yet, but curious…if out of pocket.

NN

I don’t even know what it does. About all I know… diesels don’t have spark plugs. They have three 3–4 × the compression over gas engines. And if you run them out of fuel good chance you have to prime them.

I do know. The last 2 pieces of equipment we rented. Fairly new low hours. Had issues with the DEF system. And if I didn’t have warranty.
My first thought would be delete.
But I imagine that’s probably expensive .

Good old dealerships.
Have used HD dealership 3 times.
Each time I walked out of there…My @$$ my hurt.

DoubleD, when ours get out of warranty… Delete that crap. Better fuel mileage, more power, and 100% more reliability. So far no one is pushing the issue in S.C. Just don’t make a loud noise over it and don’t get a massive power tune to keep down the black smoke. There are so many things in the aftertreatment system that will throw a code that could be several issues and a Dealer basically has to throw the most common part at it and hope it fixes the issue. On 3500 and up I can do a thorough “Burn off” that usually takes 45 min and up to a hour and a half. Directions… Park vehicle in open area, open hood and insure no vegetation under vehicle, insure vehicle has over half tank of fuel and DEF tank is full. It runs at roughly 3/4 throttle and gets Hot!!!

Next time the snap on dude comes by, I’m gonna buy the software for light trucks.

If I didn’t know the service manager I would swear he’s been dikkking me over. Several times… we got this part on, but it did not fix the issue. Poor service departments are at the mercy of what info they get… and the knowledge/ability of of the techs. Plus the biggest IMO… Parts availability.

Off road equipment is just as bad… if not worse.

Forget warranty. DELETE that bastard now.
I deleted my 2011 F-250 when it had 3k miles on it. I’ve got 235K miles on it now. Runs like a scalded dog when you need, and will pull 25-27mpg on the highway when I drive to the farm in Kentucky.

Appreciate the input. With warranty coverage taking care of it, gonna roll with that. With only 8k left on it, if another DEF issue arises, DELETE time.

NN

Got the truck back, would have been $2400 without warranty. They covered the $100 deductible.

NN

Thank goodness for your warranty! Depending on Where and Who… most good deletes will cost $2500-3500. While you may not see the fuel savings for awhile, you will see the driveability. I’ve seen real world results of a truck getting 15-17mpg go up to 26-28. My service truck, a 5500 dodge, went from a 3 month average of 7.2 (idle, soft run, hard run) to 11.6 over the same. and no cost of def fluid.

another issue in most deletes you end up with a straight exhaust. I hate it. just too loud for me. I installed a resonator on mine, and it really mellowed it out.

I looked back over this… You will see the fuel savings right away, but it will take a bit to off set cost of delete. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like