.22 lr pistol

Looking for a .22 lr semi auto pistol for my wife thanks

Its not a 22, but PSA has the Ruger LCP for $200 right now. My wife can shoot it fine and that’s a great deal on a CC gun.

If you are going for 22 only, Walther makes a very nice one in the P22

www.baturinphotography.com

My wife started with a 22lr, bought the Walther P22 but sold it. Saw lots of them fail, and didn’t want to risk it with this one as CCW. She shopped everything and couldn’t rack the slide of anything but that small 22. She ended falling in love with the Ruger LCR in 38SPL. The recoils is tough, but she shoots it well and LOVES the trigger and simplicity of the revolver. If recoil is a concern, get the 22LR. Can’t get more reliable, light, and simple than that.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

M&P 22 Compact is the way to go for a newer style.

Of course any of the Ruger Mark pistols will suffice as well.

What will be main purpose of the gun?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

For her to carry as protection

My wife loves the simplisity of the Ruger revolver! But her 357 is a little big. Wish I could find her a 380 revolver she likes

quote:
For her to carry as protection

.22 ain’t enough for that IMO. Move up to a .38 or 9mm. Check out the Ruger LCR and LC9s. My wife carries the LC9s and shoots it very well. So do I sometimes. I’ve bought 4 of them, wife, son, DIL and me:smiley: Dang good shooting little pistols for the money.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Agreed with Larry. The LCP is SMALL, the LC9 fits most people better.

There’s also been some very good sales recently on the S&W M&P Shield…PHENOMENAL gun for the money.

I agree that 22 is probably not up to the task of actually defending yourself with it. But just the idea of someone being faced with ANY gun is sometimes enough to end the threat.

That’s a decision to base on her abilities.

Wadmalaw native

Make sure you buy her the gun she wants. I made that mistake and bought her the Walther 22 for her CWP. Shot it fine, but she got tired of the action. Most woman don’t want to fool with racking a slide, loading a magazine, and safeties.

Took her out and played with about 2 dozen guns without price being a factor and she walked away with a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace grips. That gun wasn’t even on my list, and I hadn’t even picked one up in my life until she went shopping.

22 is fine for shooting, but she needs to carry at the minimum a .380. Lots of great defensive size guns designed for woman now. Ruger LCP, sig P380, Ruger LC9S Pro, Smith Shield, Glock Glock 43, Ruger LCR and LCRx, just to name a few.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

" Most woman don’t want to fool with racking a slide, loading a magazine, and safeties. "

Yep, my wife started out with a 380 and a 22 semiauto…but eventually went with the Ruger LCR too.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Make sure you buy her the gun she wants. I made that mistake and bought her the Walther 22 for her CWP. Shot it fine, but she got tired of the action. Most woman don’t want to fool with racking a slide, loading a magazine, and safeties.

Took her out and played with about 2 dozen guns without price being a factor and she walked away with a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace grips. That gun wasn’t even on my list, and I hadn’t even picked one up in my life until she went shopping.

22 is fine for shooting, but she needs to carry at the minimum a .380. Lots of great defensive size guns designed for woman now. Ruger LCP, sig P380, Ruger LC9S Pro, Smith Shield, Glock Glock 43, Ruger LCR and LCRx, just to name a few.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

LCR in 22WMR is a thought as well…

Wadmalaw native

I didn’t realize they offered that. Point is, if I was going to carry a rim fire pistol it would only be in a revolver so I could keep pulling the trigger when a misfire happens. Rimfire ammo is not as reliable as centerfire, but at least in a revolver it doesn’t render the gun inoperable. 22’s like to jam as well.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Did not know the LCR was available in rimfire either. It’s also available in 22 lr…so would make a good gun for less expensive practice for my wife, since she has the 38 SPL.

Thanks for the heads up…

The .22LR LCR is also an 8 shot revolver.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

barbawang likes this discussion, all great advice. if I had lots of money, I’d definitely have the WMR in addition to almost every gun ruger makes.

almost went for LCR .357 to carry mostly .38+p’s… and now regret it. turns out I have a hard time getting more than 2 of my giant fingers on the LCP, but wanted a summertime pocket gun. tried pearce mag ext, snags in pocket (factory mag ext looks to be the best “length”, haven’t tried). Hogue slip-on helps a lot in giving grip and filling palm swell.

stainless sp101 is sweet, but real heavy for only 5 rounds.

buddy carries the lc9, nice and slim, but sports a lot of ruger’s annoying extra safety features. not so with LCP, sp101 and gp100.

The LC9s Pro skips all those annoying safety features. I do dislike the magazine cut off and the fact that you have to take the safety off to work the slide on the standard model. The pro model does away with the safety and mag cut off.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I bought my wife a .380 for CC, she hated it. Didn’t like the recoil. I took her shopping for “whatever she wanted” and she picked out a 22WMR revolver. I have a box of Hornady critical defense cartridges for the everyday carry and we use the CCI hollow points for “plinking”. She loves the simplicity of the revolver and the low recoil, I like the fact that she is comfortable with the gun and the 22WMR has enough punch to be effective.

218WA Sailfish
200 Verado
The "Penn"sion Plan