23sail and other photogs - DSLR recs?

Hi -

Have a couple of friends shooting nikon. All the websites say the 3k and 5k DSLR series are similar, but "“with a few differences”

I’ll be darned if I can tell what the differences are other than an articulating LCD… which is cool, but not $500 cool.

Who do you like between Canon and Nikon? Why? Which model would you suggest for someone who is starting out, but will definitely regret not having bells + whistles later?

The sensor is the difference. DSLRs show their value in how they perform in low light conditions. The 5000 is going to be much much better at that. At lower light, you start to see more and more noise earlier with the 3000 than you would the 5000. In bright daylight conditions and using the same lens, you likely will not see a difference in images.

Most of the time I would say spend your extra money on glass. That’s my answer 99% of the time, but the 5000 sensor is so much better than the 3000, I would suggest going the 5000 route. Don’t bother with those cheap kit lenses either. Get a mid level lens to start with. Yes, you’ll spend more money in the beginning but the quality you get out is tremendously more.

How much are you looking to spend?

There a reason some people have the $5k camera bodies; they are sharp and clear at very low light. If you look at examples between professional gear and entry DSLRs, the difference is night and day.

www.baturinphotography.com

Not sure on budget yet, but the 5k series bodies go for 200-600 or so depending on the 2nd number. There is a kit from costco with 2 lenses but you say those are not ideal? How do you identify good vs mediocre lenses?

Bought my son a Canon Rebel EOS t3i last year after talking with 23sailfish. He has really enjoyed it and takes some beautiful pics with it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

Not sure on budget yet, but the 5k series bodies go for 200-600 or so depending on the 2nd number. There is a kit from costco with 2 lenses but you say those are not ideal? How do you identify good vs mediocre lenses?

Materials, speed.

Usually the kits are el cheapo stuff. Sure they work fine, but going with the plastic kit stuff limits your quality. Disclaimer: This quality may be all you ever wanted as even the cheapest DSLR will produce way better images than your smart phone ever could. It’s what you want out of it that you need to figure out.

Check out the review section on fredmiranda. They have reviews on all the major lenses.

For instance Canon’s kit lens is the 18-55mm. It’s plastic, all parts are plastic, even the lens. Clarity is subpar compared to their professional series, all glass. If you take that $150 you would pay towards that kit lens and put it towards a nicer lens, it’s money well spent in my opinion. To go from entry level kit lens to mid grade is often only like $100 or so, but the increased quality you get is noticeable for sure.

It truly depends on what final product you are expecting. There are some point and shoots today that have incredible images and rival some entry DSLRs. They just won’t have the capabilities that a DSLR will. Talking about depth of field\low light photography. If you know yourself and you know you’ll learn the different functions and capabilities of the DSLR, get one. Your pictures taking will never be the same again. If you think you’ll leave it on auto all the time because you don’t want to learn a new skill, save some money and get a nice point and shoot.

What do you think you’ll use your camera for 90% of the time?

Family? Kids? Fishing? Sports? Weddings? Daytime or nighttime?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/28

www.baturinphotography.com

http://kenrockwell.com/

great info here

Pioneer 197SF

B&H ( bhphotovideo.com ) and Adorama. com both have extensive inventories and the description pages have customer reviews. With absence of any type of camera store locally, I use b & H a lot. Some good reviews can be found on Amazon, also, but some of those are not from folks who know much about cameras. I sarted with Canon and have stuck with it. There are pro’s and cons of both, but I can’t address them since I have only used the Canon

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Bought my son a Canon Rebel EOS t3i last year after talking with 23sailfish. He has really enjoyed it and takes some beautiful pics with it.

he tricked need into buying one too. I hat him

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

quote:
he tricked need into buying one too. I hat him

Engrish pwease.

Mhebbard pm sent :slight_smile:

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

i bought a camera. my pix don’t look like his. i hat him. what’s the problem, your hat on too tight?

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

I posted a couple cameras in swap shop if anyones looking …

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16