2nd Annual SSWA Oyster Planting Event

Saturday was our 2nd Annual SSWA Oyster Planting event, in conjunction with SCDNR with support of CCA SC. It was another successful event. We all had a lot of fun, got muddy, worked hard, and grew our friendships - all in the spirit of helping the marine environment, in particular, our “adopted” Ashley River. I am so thankful for everyone who gave up their Saturday morning to come and work on this project. I also can’t say enough about Michael, Stevie and all the oyster restoration crew at SCDNR. I can’t recall the exact number, but this was their 26th (or so) planting event this year alone. They survive on a shoestring budget, but their work is truly meaningful for our area - they are a great group to hang with, and you can tell they are very passionate about what they do.

The pictures tell the story, but the long and short of it is: We planted over 12,000 pounds of oyster on Saturday! We moved that weight 2X (load and unload) - A few minor cuts here and there, but none any worse for the wear!

Thank you to Neil for volunteering to pull one of the barges, and thanks to Laurie for taking the pics below. And thanks to everyone who participated! We are already looking forward to next year :stuck_out_tongue:

On to the pics…

Learning a little bit about oysters

Tools of the trade

12,000 lbs of oysters ready to load

[img]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc517/SSWAonline/Oyster%20Pla

Thanks, Dave. It is going to be fun to see how it looks next year when we have 3 generations of oysters planted. Like a slow evolution.

It is important to note that while SC benefits from the S.C.O.R.E. oyster program, it is 100% federally funded and the money is based on VOLUNTEER PARTICIPATION! I can’t stress it enough, the more you help by volunteering the more funds we have to help our waters. No volunteers=no funds=less oysters=???

Plus, it is a rewarding day in the mud!:smiley:

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda