30-30 For Hogs?

Long story short, my buddy has asked me to help wipe out some hogs in Georgetown, and I’m debating on taking my 30-30. Have ya’ll had any experience (firsthand or otherwise) with hogs taken with a 30-30? All shots will be 100yds or less. I’m very confident with my shot placement for what it’s worth.

Yes, I know I’d be “better off” with a 30-06, 7mm mag, .270, etc, but I don’t really want to re-zero those guns as it’s been a good while since they were last checked.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks!

100 yds or less- you are better off with the 30-30, 150 grain, 170 grain or lever evolution don’t matter all good to go

Often your shot will be 60’ or less. 30-30 will do well - unless your hunting ag fields. I like to head shoot feral hogs. on a hog aim at the eyes or ear. Good size target

I’ve dropped a few with a .30-30 up to 200lb boar no problem

You’re good. Might want to shoot big bo hogs behind the shoulder.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Kill em up!

They just had a story on the news about how much damage feral Hogs are doing across the country. They said a conservative estimate of the cost of wild pig damage to agriculture and the environment in the United States currently stands at $1.5 billion.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Good deal. That’s what I figured, but it can’t hurt to ask. Thank you!

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

Back in the day when I hunted them on a regular basis, I used my Savage model 24. A .22 over a .410. I would load a .22 LR in the top barrel and a.410 slug in the lower barrel. I killed most of the pigs with the .22, right behind the ear and they drop like a sack of rocks. The .410 slug would finish the deal if needed.

oc

30/30 should be great. Ive killed over a dozen with a bow.

Been a few years since I’ve done that. Most of it was done in Jan. and Feb. after deer season closed and would walk the oak ridges near Vogtle. Would usually hear them rooting before I saw them as they were normally in groups up to a dozen or so.

Most exciting time was when I went to a place there that had a high point that overlooked a pond below and the terrain dropped steeply to the left and right to said pond and I saw one that appeared to be sleeping in the tall grass. Anyway, I made my way to the uphill side and began slowly walking thru that tall grass till I could see it. At about 10 yards I shot it and WOW, did things come to life!!! There were many more bedded down as well and the one I shot didn’t go silently! When she went to squealing it woke up the whole group and I went to running up that steep azz hill falling down more than once with arrows coming out of quiver. Somehow I made it to a tree that I could climb but was so whipped I didn’t know if I could climb it. Looked to my left and one hog was staring me down from about 25 yards, but thankfully, didn’t want me!!

Caught my wind and went and got bother in law and long piece of rope to pull that hog up the hill with truck.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Yeah, they can be extremely dangerous from what I’ve seen on the internet! Not something to be taken lightly.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

Feral hogs would rather get away from you than fight. The only time I ever felt threatened was when I was between a sow & her shoats.

LOL, the Sakkerliner Cape Buffalo if you believe the stories some tell. You get a group of 250# or so boars cornered with dogs in a thicket, things can get lively but the dogs are the ones in the most danger.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

LOL, the Sakkerliner Cape Buffalo if you believe the stories some tell.

Hey Mark, not sure if you are referring to me, just wanted to clear that up.

While bowhunting for those, Ive never killed one over 150lbs, most were 80 to 90lbs. I have walked up on some that were bedded and didn’t see until they hauled azz that were a good bit bigger.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN
quote:

While bowhunting for those, Ive never killed one over 150lbs, most were 80 to 90lbs. I have walked up on some that were bedded and didn’t see until they hauled azz that were a good bit bigger.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Nah, I was referring to all these stories and BS on how hogs will attack rather than flee. People make them out to be some sort of dangerous game. Most of the time they’re easy to kill though I’ve had a few that had taken some punishment. Killed one a few years back that was toting a couple of slugs and buckshot in his hide. The 165 from my .308 was a bit more than he’d seen before though. Had another big 400# bastard that managed to knock over some 3-4" pines as he died. They had two dogs get killed earlier this year on a hunt and I’ve seen plenty get mangled by them.

All in all though, they’re easy to kill if you can get on them.

Mark

quote:
quote:
quote:

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Nah, I was referring to all these stories and BS on how hogs will attack rather than flee. People make them out to be some sort of dangerous game. Most of the time they’re easy to kill though I’ve had a few that had taken some punishment. Killed one a few years back that was toting a couple of slugs and buckshot in his hide. The 165 from my .308 was a bit more than he’d seen before though. Had another big 400# bastard that managed to knock over some 3-4" pines as he died. They had two dogs get killed earlier this year on a hunt and I’ve seen plenty get mangled by them.

Mark

</blo
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
quote:
quote:

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personalit

You can get to the heart pretty easy through the throat with a full size kabar. I,m with you , a wild hog is not going to inadvertently attack anyone. I just don’t want anyone to think a hog can’t do damage. They can.

I just hope everyone does there best to eradicate them.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Just a follow up to the original post…I only saw deer, but the guy who invited us dropped a 120lb sow. We saw a TON of rooting areas plus wallows around telephone poles where they were rubbing their back/sides. All in all, it was great just hanging out with the guys.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

Feral hogs would rather get away from you than fight. The only time I ever felt threatened was when I was between a sow & her shoats.

You are absolutely correct.

I was duck hunting on Ossabaw and was walking out with a bag of decoys/unloaded gun and stepped on a sleeping/sick shoat that squealed. The sow, that I never saw, came directly at me and I climbed a small oak that was the closest. Too fat and old to get as high as I wanted but she stayed there clicking her teeth for a few minutes. I felt threatened enough.