.300 Blackout

I have an AR lower that needs an upper. I already have a couple of complete 5.56 ARs so I was looking at other calibers. I’m told the .300 blackout upper will fit an AR lower and that the mags will interchange. I have read where the .300 Blackout is a pretty good hunting round. I have a 16 year old interested in getting into deer hunting and kind of thought I’d kill 2 birds with one stone.

Anyone have any experience with the .300 Blackout or have any useful knowledge/info to share?

The .300 Black will fit on a standard AR-15 lower and it will fit standard AR-15 mags.

Bear in mind, the .300 BO was originally designed to be shot out of short barreled suppressed weapons. If you’re wanting a hunting round, get something super sonic, not subsonic. Also, get something with at least a 16" barrel. The difference in effective range is substantial (300-400 yards for supersonic versus 150-200 for subsonic). Personally, I’d limit it to 250-300 yards.

While it a 30 caliber projectile, keep in mind that caliber alone is not what makes something a good hunting round. I’d still focus on the bullet used in the ammo you select. Buy something that is designed for hunting and not just plinking or “tactical” use.

Personally, I prefer (actually own) the 6.8 Rem SPC but it takes a few more modifications of the AR-15 platform than the 300 BO does. You only need to change the barrel for 300 BO but you need different mags, barrel and bolt for 6.8 Rem SPC.

Keep us posted. Would love to see the final build.

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

The .300 Black will fit on a standard AR-15 lower and it will fit standard AR-15 mags.

Bear in mind, the .300 BO was originally designed to be shot out of short barreled suppressed weapons. If you’re wanting a hunting round, get something super sonic, not subsonic. Also, get something with at least a 16" barrel. The difference in effective range is substantial (300-400 yards for supersonic versus 150-200 for subsonic). Personally, I’d limit it to 250-300 yards.

While it a 30 caliber projectile, keep in mind that caliber alone is not what makes something a good hunting round. I’d still focus on the bullet used in the ammo you select. Buy something that is designed for hunting and not just plinking or “tactical” use.

Personally, I prefer (actually own) the 6.8 Rem SPC but it takes a few more modifications of the AR-15 platform than the 300 BO does. You only need to change the barrel for 300 BO but you need different mags, barrel and bolt for 6.8 Rem SPC.

Keep us posted. Would love to see the final build.

“…be a man and PM me.”

I own AR’s in a lot of calibers, and like BangStick I stick to the 6.8 SPC for hunting.

I do own a 300BO 10.5" side charge “Pistol” that I run suppressed with 220gr ammo that is wicked fun. But like Bangstick said, effective range is minimal. Also, with 300BO, gotta remember to mark your mags. It WILL load into a 5.56 rifle and it will fire and it WILL destroy stuff, maybe hurt you. Only bad thing about them sharing magazine.

If you’re already after a full upper, a 6.8 upper and a mag would get you going.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

6.5 Grendel is also a round to look at for your lower. Same as the 6.8 it needs different everything.

When it cones to 300 black out I would say the 2 rounds above are better for killing deer than it is.

however

300 black will kill a deer - similar (not better) ballistics to a 30-30. The round was not designed for hunting nor a 16 inch barrel so bullet choice is very important the subsonic bullets on a long barrel might not have enough gas to operate the bolt especially suppressed. I run a 10.2 inch barrel (stamped and shoot the 120 gr TTSX barnes on pigs and it kills them just fine.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Thanks for the info guys. I have an Aero Precision AR-15 lower in FDE and need an upper to finish it out. They carry .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmor, .224 Valkyrie and the .223 Wylde, but not the 6.8 Rem SPC. I guess I was looking at the Blackout because I had read the same thing about it’s similarity to .30-.30 and I liked the fact that it would swap right out with a 5.56 upper. Wasn’t aware how critical round selection was. May just finish it out as a 5.56 and start something else later more suitable for hunting or just have him use something I already have. I’m not at the stage where I am building from scratch but maybe I’ll learn and just buy a barrel and a BCG.

Thanks

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I don’t want to discourage you from choosing the 300 BO because it will absolutely kill a deer (or a hog). I’m just saying 1, there are better options out there, 2, know/understand the capabilities of the caliber and the bullet (projectiel) itself and 3, to consider all of the variables if you do choose the 300 BO. As long as you keep those things in mind, you’ll always stay within the capabilites of the particular platform you’re using.

“…be a man and PM me.”

A 6.5 Creedmoor will not fit on an ar-15 lower you need an ar-10 for that.

I would get the 6.5 grendel upper 20 inch barrel and keep moving. The ballistics and bullet selection are great although you will be better off buying ammo online for it. wall-E-world will more than likely not have it.

Your buying a complete upper anyway buying a couple different mags in not a big deal.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Good info guys, that is why I asked. Bang, no problem on the 300 BO, I realize I didn’t get all the necessary info at first when I started considering it as a round. It isn’t like I really need anymore firearms right now.

PSA has a great sale going on an AR10 with full length m lock handguard. If your intent for the gun is deer hunting you can’t go wrong with a .308
599 if I remember correctly.

Capt. R. Killin
21 Contender “Killin Time”

Yeah, I’ve seen that and maybe one day. I was just trying to build out an existing lower I already have. The problem is, there are multiple toys I want but we’re in the process of adding a 4th car to the family fleet so most of my “wants” will have to wait.