36V Lithium Trolling Motor Battery

About to pull the trigger on new trolling motor and battery. After some research I am comfortable with going with one 36v lithium battery. Anyone have any experience with these? What amp hour rating did you go with?

I have never heard of such a thing until your post. I googled them very interesting. Depending on the brand only 30 to 40 lb. And the price is not that crazy considering I have almost $1,200 into 3 batteries I have now.
Hope somebody with some experience with them response to your thread.
If you pull the trigger please keep us updated.
My batteries are 4 years old I can still run pretty much all day. But I’m sure it’s not long before I need to replace them.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Might look into the LIfePo4 batteries over lithium seeing as how you are already going to spend the money. The lithium is definitely a superior battery, but they are dangerous to charge still, and once burning you pretty much cannot put it out. Lithium burns super hot and very fast. Even for my RC monster trucks I have to charge the Lith batteries in charge bags because of how often they catch fire. I would never charge one unattended. Just food for thought.

As far as amp hours? Get the most you are willing to afford, the Lif and Lith batts will run longer and stronger than a lead acid, all day everyday. And they don’t develop a memory so you don’t have to worry about it killing itself while its not on charge and partially discharged. Good luck

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I am looking at Tournament Lithium. They are Lefepo4 lithium ion phosphate. I feel comfortable with all the pros using these no word of fire issues.

Also subscribing to this thread; my batteries are about four years old now and I’ll be looking to replace them probably next season. I can get about 5 good hours loaded down before I start to feel a lag.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I can attest to how good they work in a golf cart. My Neighbor had his swapped over to a LI pack and it is fantastic. A fraction of the weight, charges quicker and he said he was guaranteed 10 years. Some place in Summerville / Charleston did the swap for him. He never told me a price. Keep us informed! The same place offers 36, 48,& 60vdc packs.

Just a thought, you made need special charger for Lithium…

NN

You are correct they require a special charger, however I pulled the trigger today on a Tournament Lithium 36V 100AH. I will keep everyone posted. To say I am excited to give it a try would be an understatement.

1 Like

Thanks @Striker! I’m considering lithium batteries as well. I attended the BASS Expo this year and here is what I discovered:

1. Most lithium ion/poly batteries on the market have internal circuit protection to prevent fire

2. Most have a smartphone app with Bluetooth connectivity to monitor temp, voltage and current output.

3. There are high and low temp alarms

4. It’s important to know where the battery is manufactured. Customer is responsible for shipping cost of replacement is needed

5. Most have a10 year warranty. But digging into this the warranty is based on the number of recharge cycles not years.

6. Cold temps will reduce the current output capacity so large loads will drain the battery quicker in the winter.

It’s time.

Probably going to go with Optima bluetops unless you guys can talk me out of it.

I already have an onboard charger installed for my 3 battery 36vdc setup.

$329 on Amazon

1 Like

How has the new 36v been treating you ?

Is weight a concern? Mt bote like the lead batts up front so I’ll likely be sticking with them for the foreseeable future. Other than that, Amped Outdoors seems to be one of the good ones since I was shown that Dakoto batteries have the worse costomer service in the industry. You have options. But lithium batteries are better in almost every way, and here to stay.

I got 2 Dakatas for Project Flatty, 1 for TM one for House/Starting. Will let y’all know my experience with them once I start using them. I got the DL+ 60Ah. Ralph became a dealer for them otherwise I probably would have gotten the Ionics. The Ionics already have bluetooth as part of the pack. Dakatas you have to add it. I spent enough on them already… Already heard one horror story on the starting battery performance, hoping I don’t have similar issues.

I will say they are super light and compact. So far the quality seems really good.

A lot of people love their Dakotas, I know a few people personally that have them and love them and have no problems… thing is when there’s an issue…apparently they turn a mole hill to a mountain. I know of no one personally that have had an issue, only what I’ve read and seen in tear down vids.

1 Like

Ive never heard a bad thing mentioned about an optima blue top battery in a marine environment. Ever. Yellow tops too.

They are a little heavy, so thats not as good as it could be.

I have never been around any of the lithium batteries except to check them out in stores, so theres that.

I guess you have to figure in the cost of a new charger as well if I understand it correctly too

1 Like

Most of the Lifs come with a standard charger particular to the battery. You can always pay extra if you want faster charger though.

Optimas are tried and true, no doubt. But if im not mistaken, they are all AGM batteries which need a particular charger as well.

I’ve got one of these installed on the Pathfinder. Noco Genius onboard charger claims they charge "lead acid, lithium ion, flooded, gel, AGM, and deep cycle batteries. "

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENPRO10X3-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B08G3DLYX8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=7LHWE5TU7L4A&keywords=noco+genius+30amp&qid=1691113144&sprefix=noco+genuis+30%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

So can you mix and match different battery types with that one 3bank charger?

So it says. Special delivery today