3D Printed Props

My next project! The video link below shows the results of a field test on various 3D printed props. The good stuff starts at the 3:00 mark…The results are surprising!

https://youtu.be/scUEEQyC0GI

PLA plastics for 3D printers improve year after year. I have several projects where durability and strength are holding true.

Enjoy!!!

Mark Ingle
NauticStar 1810 Merc 90

That’s a really interesting concept just from a cost savings stand point. 3d printing is just nuts. The whole potential behind 3d printing just blows my mind. In the future you just need a 3d printer instead of a parts room. Craziness.

The video is just one example of possibilities. There is also conductive 3D filament that can support 12v low AMP circuits. This means sensors can be integrated with the plastics reducing the need for wires

Mark Ingle
NauticStar 1810 Merc 90

I print primarily with Nylon 12 (has soluble support material) and Ultem on a Stratasys Fortus 900mc, and wouldn’t hesitate to use a prop built from either material (at least on a smaller boat with less power). My Johnson 130s on my old cat had “composite” props, and most trolling motor props look like just injection molded plastic.

This technology is fantastic for so many applications, not just the extrusion-type (FDM or whatever you want to call it), but also powder sintering or binder jetting, plus UV curable resins with amazing surface finishes, not to mention the advances in materials in each technology! Thanks for sharing that video – I’ll have to pass it around at work!

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

quote:
Originally posted by bryson

I print primarily with Nylon 12 (has soluble support material) and Ultem on a Stratasys Fortus 900mc,

I have looked at the Stratasys online. Very impressive units! Knowing whats required for me to get the quality on my printers I am amazed at the prints from a Stratasys! Really impressive!

Mark Ingle
NauticStar 1810 Merc 90