4/23 Report, for what it's worth

Abandoned our normal fishing grounds and gave the entrance to Bear Creek a try. Beautiful day with water temps of 63.5 to 65. Fishing with planer boards, corks, and free lines. Found fish, often. They seemed to prefer water depths of 30-40 feet as we saw virtually nothing shallower. Fish seemed to be containing themselves between 20-30 feet and not desiring to move up past 20 feet. Bite was almost non-existent. Wound up with one short and one 25 incher. Both caught off the same point. Never switched off and tried downrods. Maybe we should have.

Two words … Cut Bait … LOL

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

quote:
Originally posted by Lawcrusher

Two words … Cut Bait … LOL

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Not sure how you decided like this was a cutbait situation??? Sounds like these fish were suspended not on the bottom layers. Please clarify why you would have chunked bait instead of runnin the down rods. Thanks.

See Reel Obsession’s post. He was not using cut bait, and fishing after school!

We had initially targeted the same water depths that Reel Obsession was fishing but came up empty. Our herring was “a lot” smaller than what he had and didn’t really hold up well. The fish were constantly coming up from 30 feet up to 20 feet and then turning around going back down. Perhaps they were not even stripers, but cats instead. Anyway, another learning experience.

quote:
Originally posted by bioguy

Not sure how you decided like this was a cutbait situation??? Sounds like these fish were suspended not on the bottom layers. Please clarify why you would have chunked bait instead of runnin the down rods. Thanks.

After re-reading the original post it is not clear what the bottom depth was … numbers I saw were 30-40 feet with fish concentrated between 20-30 and no willingness to surface …

My understanding (which admittedly is limited) is that the larger fish hang back and below the main pack …

Based upon what was posted and my limited knowledge … if it were me, then I would have (1) spotlocked (2) downrod right on top of them rather than drag through them and (3) cut up some of the bait and chummed it (that’s why I never toss fresh deads after strikes and/or deadloss in the bait tank - (1) no free meals for the fish & (2) always prefer fresh chum over frozen)

I know that’s not how you’re “supposed to” fish cut bait (double anchor - lots of hooks thrown out in a circle around the boat - chum in the center of the circle to attract fish - etc etc etc) … but it’s an improvise rather than dragging downrods through the fish and scattering them more than they already are …

But hey - what do I know … :smiley::smiley::smiley: