7/18/15 ~ free jumping sail

Went out today to go troll some ballyhoo hoping for some kings. We were met with a slick sea and ran out to the 2nd to last set of bouys in the shipping channel. As soon as we slowed down to put lines in we looked over and there within 100ft on the can bouy was a sail shooting out of the water. After we calmed down we put our lines in and trolled over to where he was. We decided to put out a pink sea witch on top and a naked ballyhoo with a planer. We trolled out to the C bouy until we saw birds diving. We then ran over to them and pitched a gold clarkspoon through them. We could see the schools of what we thought were Bonita under the water. We pulled a spoon through them for a while with no luck. For whatever reason the Bonita didn’t have any interest in the spoon. After that we decided to pack it in and ran back with a calm sea.

17’ Mako

Silver spoon, and just as fast as you can reel it:wink:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Screamin drag, I went past that area today. Tons of bait and schools of fish on top. I trolled a small silver drone through them and confirmed your theory. Just a bunch of small tuna.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W

Thanks for the advice. I pulled it right by them - so close I’m surprised I didn’t foul hook one. I wish we would have at least gotten a couple so
we could cut some strips for the next trip out. Tight lines and good luck!

17’ Mako

There’s so many of those tuna out there. It’s a pretty cool sight to see. We had them right next to the boat. The bait they were eating were giant schools of 2 inch glass minnows. If I were targeting them specifically I’d probably try a tiny chrome gotcha or a yo zuri pins minnow.

Capt. R. Killin
“Day Tripper”
Shamrock 20 cuddy
Ford 351W