7/30- Kiawah River

Decided to try my hand at kayak fishing for the first time yesterday. Put in by the bridge near Beachwalker Park before sunrise. Within three casts of the net had enough shrimp to last the morning. Bait was busting all down the river. Paddled to the docks by Uncle Sams Spit which are exactly 2 miles from the bridge. Nearly every dock was holding trout, nothing really keeper size. Went down to the last dock and anchored on a sandbar, immediately scared to death when the water explodes behind me and all hell breaks loose. Turns out to be 4 dolphins strand feeding right behind me. Didn’t bother the trout though, they kept biting my hook.

Paddled down a little further to find big schools of reds working the bank. Couldn’t get any of them to bit though. One of the reds spooked a flounder that tried to find safety hiding by my kayak.

It was a great morning with no shortage of wildlife up close and personal. Beautiful sunrise and a chilly start to the morning. Kind of a pain paddling back 3 miles with a head wind the entire trip back. Hope this helps out some of you regular kayak guys, give the Kiawah River a try.

Think we saw you out there…green or tan yak?

Sounds like you had a good day! I agree it was a bit chilly, and agree that the Kiawah is a great river for fishing.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Neither, I was in the red kayak. But I did see the two guys in the green and tan yak. Where were you?

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

Neither, I was in the red kayak. But I did see the two guys in the green and tan yak. Where were you?

We were in an action-craft, two guys, not a charter. Seems every boat we saw from near the bridge to Cap’n Sams were all charter boats.

Wadmalaw native

I saw you guys. I was loading up the truck when you guys passed the bridge and pointed out the boat to my wife explaining how much I liked the set up. I believe you are right, you guys were the only non-charter boat in that area. Lots of tourist in the kayaks, too. The charters were all running past the split to Capt Sams and kept going up river.

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

I saw you guys. I was loading up the truck when you guys passed the bridge and pointed out the boat to my wife explaining how much I liked the set up. I believe you are right, you guys were the only non-charter boat in that area. Lots of tourist in the kayaks, too. The charters were all running past the split to Capt Sams and kept going up river.

That boat fishes well. The dual power poles are a luxury I wish I could afford right now. My freshly done boat has been dry because of that boat, it fishes excellent and it’s hard to turn down an opportunity to fish it.

Keep trying that inlet…when I was a kid we used to catch (and gig) some MONSTER flounder in there. They’ve got to still be there. We mapped a couple of spots on the bottom we want to go back and try in a couple of months.

Wadmalaw native