8/9 Report

Don’t post many reports anymore, but took the kids(2,6,11) yesterday morning and got it handed to me early with the wind. Finally found some hungry fish off 60’-75’ humps/points. Since I don’t fish with minners it was downriggers set 57’-60’ and man did they eat. Multiple doubles and very consistent action. Filled the cooler and had some 26-28" fish to boot. Ended up with 15 fish before the boys wanted to cool off and swim. By that point I was tired of winding in 10# balls.

Nice.

I’m with you on the 10# balls …

I’m pretty sure that StriperSkiff uses lighter trolling weights …

At the risk of hijacking the thread - what size weights does everyone else use … Just want to make sure I’m not over-weighted … LOL

… it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish !!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

I use 10 also. That’s all my downriggers are rated for and that’s heavy enough that I can keep them on the screen at 70-80 ft even at 200khz, which I keep set when trolling. I do have them mounted on the front sides of the boat though and that helps seeing them at deeper depths.

Rick, not sure there’s any way to be overweighted unless it’s a strain on your DR. In the end, the only thing that matters is being at the depth you want. And right now just anywhere in the 60 - 75’ area seems to be working. Been marking some a little deeper too, but too many tree tops out there for me to troll any deeper than 75 or so.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Loon

Don’t post many reports anymore, but took the kids(2,6,11) yesterday morning and got it handed to me early with the wind. Finally found some hungry fish off 60’-75’ humps/points. Since I don’t fish with minners it was downriggers set 57’-60’ and man did they eat. Multiple doubles and very consistent action. Filled the cooler and had some 26-28" fish to boot. Ended up with 15 fish before the boys wanted to cool off and swim. By that point I was tired of winding in 10# balls.

Won’t be long Jack will be able to do the cranking. LOL

I sold my old downriggers to Bowhunter last year. He finally got around to trying them out recently and caught some fish. I think he’s used them 3 times and already talking about buying electric downriggers. LOL

Sounds like you had a great day with the kids!

DF90 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Lawcrusher

I’m with you on the 10# balls …

I’m pretty sure that StriperSkiff uses lighter trolling weights …

At the risk of hijacking the thread - what size weights does everyone else use … Just want to make sure I’m not over-weighted … LOL

Rick, I have Tim’s old setup to include 8 lb balls (sounds kinda vulgar to say that :smiley:). I have fished with him and his 10 lbers (sounds vulgar, too :smiley:) and it’s different than my 8’s for sure.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

Okay, figured I’d ask since I have 10# pancake weights and they are kind of a pain in the butt too wind up and down all the time … :smiley:

EJ, you trolling U-Rigs or just hard baits?

Yea, it can be a workout on a hot muggy evening/night. Gotta be worse during the day. I’ll always start out using both, but if they start biting and I’m on the boat solo, I’ll go to fishing one, since it’s always 5’n done when I’m using them anyway.

Just a few more weeks and cranking up the ball won’t be such a PITA.

DF90 Suzuki