9/6 - Surprise Birthday Presents

After a long time coming I talked to my buddies Got2Go and Overdraft225 about heading out Tuesday which just happened to be my birthday [:I]. Big fish Randy was down to roll too so we loaded up the Seahunt and rolled out just before sunrise. As we putted out of remleys a call came over 16 from the CG about flares being shot off from the south jetty. Shortly after while we were still sorting out the boat another call came through about a sailboat on the rocks. We headed out cautiously and 20 minutes later we arrived at the jetty to find no one on scene except a shrimp boat and more flares being shot off by the sailboat. We approached and made sure the solo boater was ok. Thankfully the coastguard showed up shortly after. Still surprised we beat them to the jetty.

Anyways we hit up several cans and they were all loaded with hardtails. Got at least a hundred easy and rolled out to some spot southish. New to us. Put a couple scamps in the boat and a bunch of the usual characters. Big trigs, jumbo Beeliners etc… We were all glad to be out! As we were pulling the anchor to move around noon we had it snag and as we were looking over the side to see which way to turn the boat all of the sudden we saw them…MAHI! Andy started live chumming them like we were on George Povermos World of Saltwater Fishing! We started tossing out hardtails on chicken rigs and quickly started slinging dolphin in rapid succession. It was madness! Nice birthday present for sure :sunglasses:. I got a legit gaffer on my new Gosa combo which jumped 5 or 6 times next to the boat before Andy stuck it with the Marshtacky gaff :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t think of a better way to spend my birthday than on the blue with those gents. Let’s do it again soon.

Oh yeah Ben got a queen trigger too! What a day!

[img]http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/uploaded/Northchuc

Great report

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Awesome. Looks flat. Happy Birthday!

Hydra-Sport 3300VX
18 Key West

Also meant to add that we saw tons of crabs offshore floating on the surface while we were fishing. Not sure if it was due to the storm or if we were just in a crabby area lol

“mr keys”

Well done as usual, NC. Looks like it was pretty calm out there. Glad y’all had a safe, productive trip.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

quote:
Originally posted by northchucky

Also meant to add that we saw tons of crabs offshore floating on the surface while we were fishing. Not sure if it was due to the storm or if we were just in a crabby area lol

“mr keys”

I fished down in Edisto Tuesday with my brother-in-law and we saw a bunch of blue crab floating in the river. They were alive, just floating on the surface. Probably saw about twenty of them. I thought it was weird, never seen anything like it.

Nice, the dolphin were a day maker for sure.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Great report and pictures! I’ve seen crabs do that offshore here too, not sure why either.

They do that in the spring in Boca Grande Pass, and they draw in thousands of tarpon. They call them pass crabs down there. There might be some cobia or tarpon around those crabs. I’d sure check.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Ok bait at the cans, A little more info on that please. I know the cans your talking bout, what size sabiki? Is it cast and retrieve or send to bottom and jig? Any input appreciated.

This was the perfect trip…Good friends, good weather, and a good bite. Thanks Ben for getting us back safely and putting us on the fish.

quote:
Originally posted by driver27

Ok bait at the cans, A little more info on that please. I know the cans your talking bout, what size sabiki? Is it cast and retrieve or send to bottom and jig? Any input appreciated.

There was bait on every can that we stopped at. I was only using a 3/4oz weight if that helps you out. The bait was up high and very, very thick. Cannot recall the size, but I usually start out pretty small. Green or red beads didn’t matter that day. Hope this helps. If not, PM me.

Thanks it did help. Appreciate the response.

Had great time as always can’t wait to do it again!!

Sea Hunt 225
Yamaha F200

Nice Bday trip!

Well done. Great report.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

hey buddy for real can you elaborate on theHardtail’s. Did you jig-um up

J. Simmons
captainclayton@yahoo
239 Key West FS 300