90 Yamaha Prop Size?

I have a 2002 Key West 1720cc with a 2-stroke 90 Yamaha. The boat came with a Michigan Wheel SS Prop, 13-1/4 x 15 (I was told by the dealer that at time of purchase that the boat had a 17" prop). The engine turns around 5000 rpm with a top speed of 34-38 mph per gps. Engine is rated 4500-5500 rpm.
I also have a 15" aluminum Yamaha spare. The aluminum turns 300-500 more rpm’s than the stainless, but gives me a little less top end and fuel economy, but a little more torque. It doesn’t make much sense to me.
To anyone who runs the same boat and engine setup, would you please share what props you are running? I’m thinking of purchasing a new prop, but I’m really confused as to what to get. I will likely go with a Yamaha prop, though.

take the prob and all you numbers to Skip in N chas- he can change a few deg on it and help you make the best decision.

www.flyfishingsc.com

Q-t, I have a propco 13 1/4 x 17 ss that I am looking to get rid of if your interested (about 5 hours on it). It will fit a 60-140hp

quote:
Originally posted by fishrake

Q-t, I have a propco 13 1/4 x 17 ss that I am looking to get rid of if your interested (about 5 hours on it). It will fit a 60-140hp

I may be interested later, but I want to find out what others are running first, and what kind of performance they get. Thanks.

Blackwaterkatz

QT,
I have the same engine on a 17cc seapro. It came with the 17 aluminum prop. I can run at 5000rpm at 30mph (GPS) with three adults on board. It gets up on plane without any problem and within a reasonable amount of time (i never timed it but it doesn’t seem slow).

hope this helps.

Great! Thanks for the reply, sea tonic.

Blackwaterkatz

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_2stroke_hpmidport_bss_kwb-1720pro-90tlrc.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_otb_2StrokePerf_HPMidPort_90hp_01134-KWB-Z.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_2stroke_hpmidport_bss_kwb-1720dc-90tlrd.pdf

First 2 look the same not sure why they have two different test posted. Not exact, but maybe give you an idea. Also call key west or butler marine. Both have been very helpfull in the past.

you should definately be turning more rpms than that
a 17 pitch prop is definately what you need, but “which” 17 pitch prop can make a big difference

I’m now at www.teamcharlestonmarine.com

I think so, too, Chris, especially if my current prop is a 15" pitch, as marked. I’ve never tried a different stainless prop on the engine. The 15" aluminum I have is pretty good for pulling a wakeboarder, but I don’t like it for normal use. I may purchase a 17" aluminum and try it out, if I can’t find someone local who has one I can borrow. Thanks for the reply.

Blackwaterkatz

You can run all the numbers/formulas and so forth, but your best bet is to pick a nice day borrow as many different props as you can and hit the water. I’ve seen two same model props perform differently. As far as aluminum vs stainless you start having blade distortion on higher hp engines with aluminum, slightly changing pitch. Some say the weight of the stainless is harder on the lower unit, I’ve never had one fail though and always use stainless. When I had my stratus I carried and swapped to a lower pitch prop to pull skiers. I also used this prop when I was loaded heavy. Good luck in your selection of props there’s a ton of em out there as well as a ton of opinions. You might even try some local boat repair shops they will usually have a selection of used props they might let you try.

Remember too that an oyster rake will destroy an aluminum prop were your stainless might make it through with only a ding or two.

“When the human race dies out it will
be because it was brainwashed to be
so totally, completely, utterly safe
that it no longer dared to keep on living.” author unknown.

I just purchased a new Yamahah 2008 90 hp 2stroke in July for my 1984 18’ Privateer CC. 1250 lbs dry weight. I started with a Michigan Wheel Apollo series SS prop 13 1/4" x 17 part # 993144. Beautiful prop but absolutely not the right prop. Could not turn more than 4300 rpm and the prop blades/hub was so big that you couldn’t mount a standard trib tab. I did a lot of research and eventually contacted Privateer. (they still make this same boat) They said that these engines need a “cleaver” style prop and recommended the Yamaha 688-45930-02-98. This is Black SS 13" x 17 prop. I now turn 5300 rpm. I think my engine could be raised a notch and that would get my up to 5400 - 500rmp. Good luck.

84’ 18 Privateer
08’ Yamaha 90

Thanks for all the ■■■■■■■■, folks. I am digesting the info. Fred, I just don’t have access to any props to borrow, right here, but I’m looking. Good suggestion.

Blackwaterkatz

Bump: anyone else that has a similar setup?

Blackwaterkatz

quote:
anyone else that has a similar setup?

I have a 90hp 2-stroke Yamaha on my 16’ High Tide with a 13 1/4" x 19" Powertech Prop and I’ve seen 51 mph at 5500 rpms. My boat is pretty light though.

Nothing but a “SMART-ELLIC”!

Thank you, sir. My son-in-law has the same boat and engine; not sure of the prop, though, but it does have a lot more pitch than mine.

Blackwaterkatz

I have G3 1860CC running a 90 Yamaha 2-stroek with a 17 SS prop on it. Came with an aluminum 15 on it when I got it, but was turning right at 6000 rpm’s full tilt. I added 3 MPH’s and dropped 400-600 RPM’s with the new prop. Still a rocket out the hole and top out around 43-44mph. I am getting around 3.7 mpg as well. Some days better, some days worse.

same rig, gone thru 3 props and finally just got a fin on the motor!:roll_eyes:

I HAVE SPENT MOST OF MY LIFE FISHING AND WASTED THE REST OF IT!

Thanks again for all the info. I’m digesting every bit of it. Megabite, that difference in performance is pretty amazing, considering that I was looking at both of those props, too. What effect did that have on actual speed?

Blackwaterkatz