A couple reports and some tactics

I have posted a couple fishing reports and some wintertime creek fishing tactics in our latest blog post.

http://ralphphillipsinshore.com/blog/

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Good stuff Dave!

That’s quite a pole you have there! Are you fishing with anything besides those big eye jigs lately? Can’t wait to get down and try mine.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

It’s an old fiberglass windsurf mast. Does the trick. Unless I’m fishing a hard plug I only use our jigs.

Ah, re-purposing. That’s a good idea, I sold one a few years ago, never thought of that.

Its a bit heavy being an old fiberglass mast. I have a few carbon fiber masts but I can’t make myself use them as push poles :slight_smile: I think I’m still kidding myself that I’ll use the gear again someday. If I had a poling platform it would be too short but it works for me and the price is right :slight_smile:

I can go as hi at $5 to see you use it again. name the time & place. cash money. this could be good.

I had skillz back in the day, pre-kids. Jake is about to graduate HS :slight_smile:
I have state of the art 1990s era equipment with a lot of dust and dry rot

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

I had skillz back in the day, pre-kids. Jake is about to graduate HS :slight_smile:
I have state of the art 1990s era equipment with a lot of dust and dry rot

Me too. Now, I’m teaching my grandchildren to fish.:sunglasses:

Thanks for the reports and pics!

2006 17’ Sea Hunt Triton w/ 90 Yamaha, formerly a 1991 15’ Key West Explorer w/ 60 Johnson.

I’m also a board sailor, or used to be. Actually I’m a Mistral certified sailboard instructor and spent a few years teaching board sailing. Love it :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Larry that’s awesome! Who knew? I used to be a certifiable wind junky. I’d look out the window at work, see the trees moving and I’d start shaking. My boss was cool. He’d say " just go " :wink:

I learn something new about Larry about once a week. He is a renaissance man.

quote:
Larry that's awesome! Who knew? I used to be a certifiable wind junky. I'd look out the window at work, see the trees moving and I'd start shaking.

I was also a certifiable wind junkie, my wife too. At one time we had 5 sailboards and 30 sails between us:smiley: If it was too windy to fish, I’d be sailing, too calm to sail I’d be fishing. I ran a wind surfing school in Savannah for several years. Also took out many windsurfing charters. I would load 6 boards on my charter boat and take them out to the offshore breaks, anchor the boat and do some good ocean sailing.

We used to take most of our vacations to hot sailing destinations, Columbia River gorge, windward side of Aruba, Jamaica, Melbourne, Cocoa, anywhere there was wind and big waves. Nothing like being harnessed on a short board and doing 40 mph, passing power boats:sunglasses:

Unfortunately age catches up and at 61 I’ve given up the short boards and extreme ocean sailing. Still enjoy it though, in a much more casual fashion than I did 25 years ago.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Doug you are right, I think Larry has lived 9 lives!

Larry that’s very cool. You are right, you can’t explain to someone the addiction of being harnessed in a short board on full plane. Just like flying. I used to meet a fellow sailboarder on a little lake called Black Lake in northern NY at the foot of the Adirondacks. It was a popular fishing lake, but oriented so that the predominant SW wind would venturi. I’ll never forget the look on some of the fishermen’s faces as I streaked by at 35 mph in a gale. They were like WTH??? Often they would stop while I was derigging and chat and say how cool that seemed.

At one point I probably had almost $10K in equipment. Still have it. All the latest world cup boards and sails from the mid 90s. We would vacation at the outer banks.

Boy this thread has derailed :slight_smile:

That was a great day Opti. As usual, the trout eyes were doing the trick(like what I did there?). Oh and no more shortcuts for you!

Seafox 187CC

Well Opti looks like your keeping the interest. Been down and out since 25 OCT. Total truck/damaged trailor on my way fishing on that date. just picked up my New trailer from SeaFox 1/14/15 so clear the lauch pads because I need to knock off the rust… Nice report.

“Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education”

18’ CC SeaFox

Hope to see you out there KOBP