Advanced Shooting Classes

Looking for recommendations on advancing my shooting abilities. This is for personal interests and also to put on my resume. I have my CWP and have been shooting for years, but wanting to get better. Does anyone reccomend anyone or a company that could help me get a qualification for advanced weapons training?

Thanks!
Micah

Everything I have ever been to has been for LE/military only. I have heard some decent things about Front Sight but, really don’t have any involvement with companies that cater to civilians. Bear in mind, nothing good will be cheap and many places will be outside of SC so there is travel.

I used to compete some but haven’t in a few years. If you do not find anything suitable, let me know, I’ll ask some of my old contacts. Curious as to what you do in that this would enhance your resume?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I am aware that it won’t be cheap, but if it helps the resume then I’m willing to put some cash out in order for future goals. The reason I’m asking is because few of my Citadel buddies are getting into Secret Service, ATF and others. I’m wanting to bump my chances since they had higher GPAs. I graduated with a 3.125 with a CRMJ degree and minor in intelligence and homeland security. I’m just trying to get to the top, I’ve always been ambitious for everything I’ve loved or cared about. I’m in the boat business but know that I’m going to need a real career with insurance, benefits etc for my future wife and a family someday. Thanks for your help!

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

quote:
Originally posted by idratherbefishing

I am aware that it won’t be cheap, but if it helps the resume then I’m willing to put some cash out in order for future goals. The reason I’m asking is because few of my Citadel buddies are getting into Secret Service, ATF and others. I’m wanting to bump my chances since they had higher GPAs. I graduated with a 3.125 with a CRMJ degree and minor in intelligence and homeland security. I’m just trying to get to the top, I’ve always been ambitious for everything I’ve loved or cared about. I’m in the boat business but know that I’m going to need a real career with insurance, benefits etc for my future wife and a family someday. Thanks for your help!

Did you find a Glock 22?

Most Federal agencies won’t necessarily be impressed that you attended advanced shooting schools. While the fundamentals of shooting is the same, the tactical aspects can vary greatly and, every agency does a little something different based on your job duties. I’ve shot with SS, ATF, DEA, ICE and Border Patrol. They all do some things different. Also, depending on what “school” you go to, it may be viewed more as a negative than a positive. There are quite a few cowboys out there conducting some unsafe or tactically unsound training. I had a guy that wanted to be a Firearms Instructor with my department so bad that he paid his way through a civilian school. $1,500 later, we still did not select him. What he had learned in that school was of little practical value to us…or him for that matter.

The best way to get into federal LE is to get some time in as a state or local LEO. Federal LE agencies hire very few people straight out of college, or without any LE experience because they get so many applicants from non-federal LE agencies. Grades are important but a little age (maturity) and some LE experience will usually trump great grades. Of course another way is knowing someone that can pull some strings. Most departments hate hiring people that way but when a senator/congressman, etc. calls.

Anyway, good luck to you, it’s nice to see someone with desire to achieve.

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Did you find a Glock 22?

Yes I did, I PM’d you about yours, must have not gotten through for some reason. Appreciate it anyways!

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Most Federal agencies won’t necessarily be impressed that you attended advanced shooting schools. While the fundamentals of shooting is the same, the tactical aspects can vary greatly and, every agency does a little something different based on your job duties. I’ve shot with SS, ATF, DEA, ICE and Border Patrol. They all do some things different. Also, depending on what “school” you go to, it may be viewed more as a negative than a positive. There are quite a few cowboys out there conducting some unsafe or tactically unsound training. I had a guy that wanted to be a Firearms Instructor with my department so bad that he paid his way through a civilian school. $1,500 later, we still did not select him. What he had learned in that school was of little practical value to us…or him for that matter.

The best way to get into federal LE is to get some time in as a state or local LEO. Federal LE agencies hire very few people straight out of college, or without any LE experience because they get so many applicants from non-federal LE agencies. Grades are important but a little age (maturity) and some LE experience will usually trump great grades. Of course another way is knowing someone that can pull some strings. Most departments hate hiring people that way but when a senator/congressman, etc. calls.

Anyway, good luck to you, it’s nice to see someone with desire to achieve.

That’s what I’ve always been told, but my closet Citadel friend just got in with secret service with a psychological degree lol, go figure. No prior LEO experience so I figure it was worth a shot applying to Secret Service. My other Citadel friend is in your neck of the woods, Lexington County

I think he just called you old, Doug… IRBF, don’t let your strong ambition cloud your judgment, but don’t let it die either. Not my gig, but sounds like sage advise above!

Yes, on occasion federal LE agencies do hire straight out of college but, it is generally the exception and not the rule. I am always happy to help and any advice I give may be worth what you paid for it. Feel free to contact me any me any time.

As for being old, I don’t feel old but, with 30 years in, I guess I am .

You’re a good egg DF

Dude any Civilian “advanced” training course you could get, I sure would not want to put it on a resume. Especially if trying to get a job with the FBI.

Dfreedom gave some excellent advise. Have a great friend that got a job with the secret service after graduation from the Citadel. He had some of the highest recommendations from some high up places you could imagine. He did very good at it and was the exception. He caught much ■■■■■ to begin with but stayed the course.

I’d try and get in with the Highway patrol and do everything by the book and then try to gain entry… GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

“live and let live” … “those that deserve it.”

Yep, no instructor wants to see a so called expert, show up in his class! Your best bet would be, to say that you have shot guns in the past and let them teach you their way of shooting!

quote:
You're a good egg DF

Coming from you, that is high praise indeed.

He trying to get some of that Brisket! Don’t fall for it Doug!

Thank you for all of your input, defiantly the opposite of what I thought would help! Glad to know this and keep the food for thought.

I’ll let him smell the inside of the smoker Norm.

Heck, run for sheriff, seem every one else does!

If you’d like, I can put you in touch with another Citadel grad who teaches advanced firearms training. He’s not local, though. He’s former USMC and teaches LE and civilians. Shoot me a PM.

quote:

Thank you for all of your input, defiantly the opposite of what I thought would help! Glad to know this and keep the food for thought.

Friend of mine is a competitive shooter. He took a class at Rogers Shooting School in Ellijay Georgia. Weekend class, lots of drills/training, LOTS of shooting, no down time…he was either shooting, training, or sleeping. Might not get you a job, but he was very impressed with the training.