air fryer

so the wife was talking about getting an air fryer and ive heard good things about them, but havent had food that came from one before let alone used one. anyone have one or taste the aftermath of one?

We heard the same thing. The wife decided she was going to buy one last Friday at wallyworld. We love cutting up potatoes into french fries and cooking them in the deep frier, so that’s the whole reason we bought it. Friday night for supper, I cut up some fries and followed the instructions, drizzled some oil on them, salted them and put them in the air fryer. Well, lets just say that thing went back to wallyworld on Sunday. They tasted like baked potato sticks (the ones that were cooked) without the butter and extra toppings. The outside of them was dried out and a lot of them weren’t even cooked.

I’m sure someone that has taken the time to learn to use one properly probably has a better experience, but I won’t be buying another one any time soon.

I also heard from some friends that they do frozen fries good, but I can’t much stand those.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

They work well for a mini convection oven. Don’t put tater tots in the rotisserie basket like the directions say, unless you like one big tater tot afterward!

-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

Got one for Christmas and used it a little. The basket is kind of small in the one we have and if you don’t shake your french fries in between cooking they don’t do so well. To me it was a novelty that We’ve only used a few times in the last couple of months.

What makes me really wonder is how much healthier is it when it comes to oil consumption. You still have to rub the food with oil when using an air fryer. If you deep fry and have the oil above 320-350 how much oil is actually absorbed into the food over the air fryer? The wife actually fried me some okra the other night for a treat. Good gracious that stuff is good! Working on a fried pork chop instead of grilled now.

OhioNN, if anyone can make one of these things work it would be you! How ya been? Doing some Quail and deer back strap tonight.

got done with a school in virginia for shore duty and took to my favorite travel site ever for what to do for some time off before the next duty assignment! www.gobacktoohio.com had the right idea so im home for a while now, hopefully get some walleye fishing in, then back to south georgia for shore duty. with any luck ill stop by a buddys place in goose creek and hopefully get a shad and catfish trip in on the way back. if i end up at wilsons ill be sure to bring a big trash bag or 2 with me. as for the air fryers, tigerfin is the first negative review ive seen, but like anything else it probably takes some practice to get it down.

I’ve got one and the only thing I’ve seen so far it’s good for is cooking frozen French fries. 15 minutes and they are crispy and hot. I tried to do fried shrimp and the flour/seasoning outside was still powdery and white while the shrimp were tough.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

No getting around the fact that hot grease is delicious…ha ha