All Out Blitz At The Jetties

We had a blast as it was nonstop action right from the start! The blues came out to play this day and they would hit anything right as it hit the water. We caught nearly 50 nice sized blues on our favorite combo, ZMan/Eye Strike lures and jig heads. No particular favorite color today. As you know, bluefish will hit anything! I hope you enjoy the video. Kevin

3 Likes

Thanks again, for another entertaining post!

1 Like

That is what makes the goose egg days worth it! Flat out whoopin em! Gotta love it!

Thats a long vid, I watched in 1.5 speed and still enjoyed pretty much all of it. Thanks for taking the time to share the trip! Same ZMan all dat for Mike is a testament to the quality of the lures! Very cool!

1 Like

Man, that looks like a fun day! Do those Blues tear your artificials up?

2 Likes

That’s one of the many reasons I fish Z Man baits. I have been super lucky sometimes and have had the same grub on for 2-3 trips, catching over 100 fish on the same lure!

1 Like

Thanks Nutz, it was a blast out there!

That’s the beauty of the Z Man soft plastics. They are so reliable and hardly ever tear! The only time I lost a fish was when I let my line slack for a second and their teeth cut my fluorocarbon.

Dude I just watched your video over my morning coffee. If I didn’t have my kids soccer games all day I would already have the boat hooked up. Great Video! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Those Z-man artificials are durable.

2 Likes

Nice! I need to get out to the jetties. Been too long. Do blues make good table fare? I always threw them back.

1 Like

Yes they do, IFFFF you cut and bleed them IMMEDIATELY when caught, and do not freeze them, refrigerate and cook right away.

Soft tender meat like Kings, cut out the dark streaks, maybe even treat them like Kings, and marinate them in Italian dressing for a couple hours too.

2 Likes

Everything Eastrider said plus,

Ice and salt water in the cooler, get cold quickly after bleeding.

Lightly brined, seasoned and smoked, very good.

Good sashimi/nigiri sushi if perfectly treated and fresh.

Lots of cooked recipes, but it is an oily fish and benefits from some acid - buerre blanc, lemon, capers, etc.

One of the best fish, don’t believe what they say. Not picky about lures or bait, fight hard for size, found nearshore and tasty if treated right.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I’m excited to try one!

1 Like

Haha. I get that same feeling when I read reports and want to get out there so bad!

Can’t beat them! I have used them religiously since day one.

Blues are a very “oily” fish and can taste bad if you just eat them normally (baked, grilled, etc). We smoked them and then turned that into a fish dip and it was awesome!

1 Like

it’s called “wife crack” at my house

brined and heavily smoked bluefish or mackerel
cream cheese
lemon juice
garlic
worcestershire
hot sauce
chives
fine black pepper

refrig for at least a day, then allow to come to room temp and use stout crackers/chips for dipping. won’t last long.

I’m gonna go raw like CY next time, clip a gill arch and such

2 Likes

Blues are good fried, if fresh not frozen, and marinated in Italian dressing if you don’t like a strong fishy taste.

1 Like