Almost swamped at the Grillage by container ship

We were on anchor about 400 yards away from the red can at the Grillage toward Sullivan’s Island when a container ship steamed in throwing a 4 foot wake. We were just able to crank up the boat and turn the bow into the cresting 4-5 foot wake. If we had taken the wake broadside, it probably would have swamped us. We were plenty pissed off.

I looked at Live Ship Map and I think it was

HAMMONIA VENETIA

More Actions
Flag: Liberia
Ship Type: Cargo
Speed/Course: 0 kn / 21#730;
Length x Breadth: 269 m X 33 m
Draught: 8.9 m
Destination: CHARLESTON
ETA: 2013-07-19 23:00 (UTC)
Received (1142): 0h 9min ago

The track had the vessel running almost 12 knots by the red can. I don’t know if that was excessive speed, but we though the captain could have seen he was throwing a monster wake and have slowed.

Jack wagon.

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 18 year old ( has decided being with parents isn’t cool)
1 - 15 year old (still does not mind hanging with the 'rents)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

It’s not the captain at that point, its the harbor pilot… Our local boys.

www.baturinphotography.com

need to maintain speed for steerage

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I don’t think they had a harbor pilot, we never saw a harbor pilot boat go out or come back in. I expect to get swamped by the HP…not a container.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by claim
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I don’t think they had a harbor pilot, we never saw a harbor pilot boat go out or come back in. I expect to get swamped by the HP…not a container.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

No, Not talking about the harbor pilot boat. The harbor pilot physically gets on the container ship and is responsible for safe passage to port.

That speed doesnt seem riduculous. 14mph? But it is to be expected in the shipping channels. I have ridden a few wakes from tankers and it is humbling in the kayak.

Chris

Hobie Adventure Island "Rogue Wave"

You really are a dumb a…

2 pages real quick.

I think it’s called assumption of risk. and I’m not casting stones claim. I’ve done worse.

Since the grillage is the “only place I fish” I can tell you that happens from time to time. Speed/currents/tides all cause the wakes to be bigger. Had a client ask me “Were those 10 footers” a few weeks ago.

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

Try steering that ship at less than 12 knots. Like a cow trying to ice skate. The harbor pilot usually gets on way out at the beginning of the channel so you would not even know he is in once he gets to the mouth of the harbor. Fishing at the jetties is an adventure and an assumed risk.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

If you can’t handle a ship wake, then you really shouldn’t be fishing where there are ships :wink:Just saying :sunglasses:

That vessel has every right of way over you, it is constrained by her draft, restricted in ability to maneuver, has to maintain speed for control, and even if it could throttle down for you, it would take it a half a mile to slow down even a little bit. Those jetties are built and maintained for a billion dollar shipping industry and the military, not created just for your fishing enjoyment :smiley:

And yes, it’s almost certainly under the command of the Harbor Pilot.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Thats why i dont like fishing the jetties. Rarely when i do I fish the outside.

Maybe he thought you were a right whale?

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Since the grillage is the “only place I fish” I can tell you that happens from time to time. Speed/currents/tides all cause the wakes to be bigger. Had a client ask me “Were those 10 footers” a few weeks ago.

www.advoutdoors.com
“I have tomorrow open!”

It was the first time I’d been to the Grillage or jetties and seen such a tall wake. We were talking about it yesterday and my friend said he thought it was taller than 4-5’ tall. We had almost all our 100’ anchor rope out and we were able to crank up and head into the wave just before it crested did a perfect pipe curl behind us.

It would have been fun for a surfer, not so much fun for some folks in a 22ft flats boat.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC