Hello everyone!
Me and my wife moved here about 6 months ago for a new job, and man I could not love this place any more. I have bass fished my whole life, and learning to saltwater fish has been so refreshing, despite having not much to show for it. I don’t have a boat quite yet although hopefully we can swing that in the future, so for now I am just learning how to fish off all of the publicly available spots around me.
I stumbled across this website and have really enjoyed reading post about locations and strategies, so thank you all for taking the time over the years to pass down knowledge. I wanted to ask if any of you have any advice on how to be more productive around some of the piers close to me. We live in West Ashley and I have found some cool spots but really haven’t caught much. The guys down at Haddrel’s have been awesome to talk to and I love supporting them. I also have met some really kind people while fishing and have enjoyed hearing their stories also.
I go over to Higgins pier a lot and really love that place. So far for the past few months I have tried throwing cut mullet, blue crab, squid, etc. on a Carolina rigged circle hook without any landed fish at all. I usually throw it with the tide so the current doesn’t drag the weigh into a snag. I looked up some depth charts and have been throwing basically parallel with the pier. Ive also thrown some popping corked shrimp down the creek banks and around the old sign in the water with no success. I really enjoy that pier and would love any help.
My wife and I have also hit up other places like Demetre park, Northbridge Park, James Island County park, West Ashley Greenway, Fort Pemberton Park, and Pitt Street! I caught a few small reds and a flounder off Pitt street but that is it. I have been blown away by the beauty around here and really want to get better at using the tide and structure to target these fish.
Another spot on my list is the DNR facility down on James, but I read about overcrowding and really like to try and avoid people if I can so I am curious if anyone has been there recently?
I look forward to your responses and thanks in advance, and if anyone is looking for a fishing buddy let me know!
