Aluminum Plate

is there a local source for 6061 5/8" aluminum plate in Columbia or Charleston areas ? about 12" x 18"

no luck on the internet

Pioneer 197SF

not sure about local but we use McMaster Carr a good bit at work. They tend to be a little more expensive on things but they ship quick.

https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-alloy-6061

15’ HIGH TIDE 40 YA

YEPPERS ON WHAT DRAKE SAID…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

3rd

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

I use Metal Supermarket here in Columbia.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I will check our inventory at the shop tomorrow on 5/8 6061 plate. Would 5052 work for you? Will check it also. Material would be in Hanahan.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I use Metal Supermarket here in Columbia.

that location is closed, and it doesn’t appear that they handle material that thick, thanks

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677

I will check our inventory at the shop tomorrow on 5/8 6061 plate. Would 5052 work for you? Will check it also. Material would be in Hanahan.

hmmm, I’m using it as a mounting plate for a trolling motor, 52 is more flexible than 61, other than that and a difference in corrosion resistance it appears they are similar, others have used 61 for a mounting plate

it doesn’t have to be a nice rectangle piece, certain shapes of scrap material would work, I’ll be in Charleston tomorrow

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy
quote:

hmmm, I’m using it as a mounting plate for a trolling motor, 52 is more flexible than 61, other than that and a difference in corrosion resistance it appears they are similar, others have used 61 for a mounting plate

it doesn’t have to be a nice rectangle piece, certain shapes of scrap material would work, I’ll be in Charleston tomorrow
Pioneer 197SF

Trolling motor plate,figured you snagged a small bucket truck and you were short one outrigger plate[:0].

Please tell more, must be a pusher rather than a puller??

NN

“that location is closed, and it doesn’t appear that they handle material that thick, thanks”

Dang, that sucks. I’ve been buying metal there for a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy
quote:

Pioneer 197SF

Trolling motor plate,figured you snagged a small bucket truck and you were short one outrigger plate[:0].

Please tell more, must be a pusher rather than a puller??

NN

Typical issue with many center console boats. There’s no room to install a trolling motor on the bow. One needs a metal plate that extends past the rub rail. The plate needs to be properly secured to the boat thus the size and thickness of the metal. I’ve seen three designs for a plate for my boat, all are similar. I can buy one for $400 but that’s just crazy.

Pioneer 197SF

i get my metal for personal projects and business projects from Dillon supply in west columbia. good selection and good people to work with. and they have a drive through loading warehouse

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

Checked our current inventory. No 5/8 plate or bar. Just about every other size though.

quote:

Checked our current inventory. No 5/8 plate or bar. Just about every other size though.

thanks for checking

Pioneer 197SF

So…quick trip to my favorite metal recycling place on Fairfield Rd in Columbia. They have an adjacent business that sells all types of metal and metal products. Especially steel bar, plate, angle, tube, diamond plate, etc. Along with valuable items that were brought for recycling.

In the “scrap” yard they had hundreds of sheets of aluminum ranging from 1/16" - 2.5", thousands of feet of tubing - thin wall and thick from 1/4" to 6" diameter, and thousands of feet of coil of various widths and thicknesses. They bought the inventory of a bankrupt company. An incredible amount of product.

Found five sheets, 4’x12’, of 5/8". Unfortunately no way to cut it.

I’ve made numerous purchases here. They sell this type stuff by the pound. Aluminum is currently $1.25. You never know what you’ll find: commercial stainless steel sinks, all kinds of steel and other metals. There is a pile of old light poles 40 -60’ long if anyone needs a long AL pole. Anyone with a project looking for materials Mid-Carolina Steel and Recycling is a good spot.

Pioneer 197SF

Hey Bill, are you saying YOU dont have a way to cut it, or mid-carolina steel doesnt have a way to cut it? if you need, i can cut it for you.

Proline 201WA

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

Hey Bill, are you saying YOU dont have a way to cut it, or mid-carolina steel doesnt have a way to cut it? if you need, i can cut it for you.

Proline 201WA

They aren’t able to cut it, no plasma torch or shears

They can’t let me cut it, liability, no big deal. The piece I need isn’t that large or expensive, will order it. Thanks.

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Drake043

not sure about local but we use McMaster Carr a good bit at work. They tend to be a little more expensive on things but they ship quick.

https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-alloy-6061

15’ HIGH TIDE 40 YA

Ended up buying from Midwest Steel and Aluminum, 60% cheaper than McMaster. With shipping it’s 6-7 days. McMaster may have been faster but I can wait.

Pioneer 197SF

No problem.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

15’ HIGH TIDE 40 YA