Alutecnos Fly Reels?

I just picked up a 6wt Alutecnos fly reel (SFR060XD), but can’t find much info about them online. Is anyone familiar with these reels?

It came with an extra carbon fiber drag – from what I can gather, you have the option of running the cork drag, which is supposed to have more power, or the carbon drag, which is supposedly smoother.

I have heard of Alutecnos from their offshore/trolling reels, but never of their fly reels until recently. Anything that I should look out for, or any particular way to maintain them that I should know about? The only fly reels I’ve used so far are sealed-drag reels.

Thanks,

Bryson

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

We sold them at The Charleston Angler for a few years a while back… Good reels, a bit heavy, but well made and able to take a beating…

The interchangeable drag systems do serve different purposes… Carbon dissipates heat faster but cork is smoother… basically if you’re going to go tuna fishing or marlin fishing you would put in the carbon… for everything else the cork works just fine…

They are fully machined, and you should care for it the same you would for a tibor, abel, or any other reel built in the same fashion. keep it clean, dry, and check the cork occasionally to make sure its well lubricated and not dried out.

these reels are made in the same factory in italy that they machine parts for farrari in… so you got that goin’ for you. I’m not sure they still make them… we didn’t do well with them, too heavy, and too expensive for most people with the other options that are available… but if you got a good deal, then you should be fine… they are tough reals and should hold well for a long time…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

Appreciate the info, Mike. It does look similar to a Tibor, except I think the drag surface is a little smaller. It’s definitely a little heavy, but hopefully it won’t bother me much.

I was a little worried about how the reel felt initially, but I opened it up and the cork was bone dry, so I think that’s why it felt strange. The story was that the guy bought it and got shoulder surgery before he could fish it, then it sat in his closet for a handful of years.

I also picked up an older Sage DS 5/6wt rod in great shape to pair it with… I probably won’t fish it a tremendous amount for reds, but I think it will be a nice treat when we have a day calm enough. It should be fun in neighborhood ponds or in sheltered canals down south. Just gotta choose a line now…

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

Hello Fellow Fishers.I keep getting an email about this reel. But I haven’t posted anything about it.

BDC