Ammo & Holster Input (Ruger LCP)

I just picked up my new Ruger LCP yesterday (Thanks Ricky) and am now in need of a couple things. Are any of you carrying an LCP or other small EDC pistol and if so, how? What kind of holster and, what kind of carry ammo are you using. I found an excellent deal on 1,000 rounds of practice ammo but, my expertise in ammo is pretty much limited to 9mm and .40 cal so I’m interested in what you load for protection.

Any constructive input appreciated.

I have had good success with Hornady FTX rounds. I have them in all my carry weapons. Very accurate, reliable and feed extremely well.

Carry wherever is most comfortable for you. I personally like small of the back (ankle if I am wearing a tucked in garment). I prefer soft sided holsters vs. Kydex or other versions of plastic. Again, all personal preference.

Congrats on the new addition.

Edit to add: “Success” does not mean I have ever had to protect myself (thank God), just that they have shot well.

LCP seemed best for me in a pocket in a sticky holster. Just too small to warrant something else on my belt.

I have seen many people using one of the cell-phone look alike holsters and loving them. Sneaky Pete I think they’re called.

Ammo, whatever you plan on carrying for defensive purposes, make sure to run a box or two through the gun to make sure it likes it. A lot of those LCP’s don’t like to feed the Hornady Critical Defense (red polymer tip) and others with polymer tips.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Somebody else mentioned it too in an earlier thread, but there’s value added in polishing that feed ramp when you go to clean this gun for the first time. These little things are susceptible to hang ups/fail to eject at times and you really want to make it as reliable as possible. Mine just so happened to work great out of the box, but I’ve read online about some that have had at least one hang up on every magazine until they polished the feedr amps.

I have a holster for mine and rarely use it; its really so small that it might be best for a pocket carry like Leadenwah said. A sticky holster and in a jacket pocket or jeans pocket; you’ll never see it.

If I get murdered in the city, don’t go revenging in my name…

We had 2 of them and a variety of holsters, but traded them in for Ruger LC9s’s. As said above, it carried best for me in a pocket. They make a pocket clip for it just like a pocket knife clip and I found it perfect for most situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Techna-Clip-LCP-Right-LCP-Br/dp/B014E26Z62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455201034&sr=8-1&keywords=lcp+techna+clip

We used Hornady critical defense without any problems at all. Many people who complain about a pocket guns failure to feed are usually causing this themselves, by not holding the pistol firmly enough.
You’ve got to put enough forward pressure on it to allow the action to cycle properly. Otherwise known as the limp grip syndrome. My wife was having that problem and I wasn’t. We swapped pistols and she was still having the problem, and I wasn’t. Got her grip corrected and the feed problems disappeared.

Of course it never hurts to polish the feed ramp :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

This is the little holster I bought for IWB carry. Cheap, like $20 on ebay and its decent enough leather. I’ll use it from time to time and its comfortable because of the small size, but I’ll likely pocket carry this gun a majority of the time. I like it better than the others as it will stay open and you can easily re-holster with one hand. I have other holsters you cannot do that with and they are a pain. Brand is Outbags and the model is LOB4S. It fits the S&W bodyguard 380 as well as the LCP very well.

Thanks all. Will probably have a couple of carry methods based on seasons. Ordered 1,000 rounds of ammo so hope to be shooting it soon.

Larry, you are exactly right about failure to feed and hang ups. As a firearms instructor I see it all the time.

Hey, since we’re talking guns, anyone have or familiar with the Sccy CPX2? I took a look at one and must say it looked nice. Trigger pull was a little long but a nice sized 9mm.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Thanks all. Will probably have a couple of carry methods based on seasons. Ordered 1,000 rounds of ammo so hope to be shooting it soon.

Larry, you are exactly right about failure to feed and hang ups. As a firearms instructor I see it all the time.

Hey, since we’re taking guns, anyone have or familiar with the Sccy CPX2? I took a look at one and must say it looked nice. Trigger pull was a little long but a nice sized 9mm.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I’ll let you know next week! I have a customer bringing one in that he is having LOTS of problems with. Feeds some ammo, won’t feed others, ejects some, not others…hoping it’s simple like a feed ramp polish and extractor tune.

He loved it too, and now he hates it of course.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

My Kel-tec in a wallet holster, works great!!

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Otherwise known as the limp grip syndrome. My wife was having that problem and I wasn’t. We swapped pistols and she was still having the problem, and I wasn’t. Got her grip corrected and the feed problems disappeared.

Swaped the wife to a S & W air light lady pink. limp grip solved. A little strong on the trigger pull, but not too bad.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

An uncovered trigger is a bad, bad thing. I find that design…liable to be sued on the first A.D.

Sticky holster works great. In the pocket or in the waiste band. Gun doesn’t move, thin, stays in the pocket when drawn, and can be positioned anyway you want on the waiste. Think I paid like $20 for mine.

I use Hornady HP ammo for all my carry guns. But I would double check that ball ammo isn’t the best for a .380 and that type of gun.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by jstrange

An uncovered trigger is a bad, bad thing. I find that design…liable to be sued on the first A.D.

are not all pistol/rifle triggers uncovered?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

He’s talking about an exposed trigger while in the holster. If you keep one in the chamber, which a lot of people do if carrying concealed, it can potentially be dangerous if you go to grab it quickly. Most holsters meant for concealed carry cover the trigger not allowing for accidental touching of the trigger, although the design of the wallet holster apparently has a different purpose.

I happen to like that holster design, but would be nervous having a gun without a safety and one in the chamber. Many of the small pocket pistols do not have safeties.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

He’s talking about an exposed trigger while in the holster. If you keep one in the chamber, which a lot of people do if carrying concealed, it can potentially be dangerous if you go to grab it quickly. Most holsters meant for concealed carry cover the trigger not allowing for accidental touching of the trigger, although the design of the wallet holster apparently has a different purpose.

I happen to like that holster design, but would be nervous having a gun without a safety and one in the chamber. Many of the small pocket pistols do not have safeties.

Thanks for the explanation. now I know.

quote:
but would be nervous having a gun without a safety and one in the chamber. Many of the small pocket pistols do not have safeties.

If you’ve ever pulled the trigger on a Keltec P3AT like that one, you’d know why it really doesn’t need a safety. It’s a real long and strong pull. There is almost no way that trigger can be fired by accident.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry
quote:
but would be nervous having a gun without a safety and one in the chamber. Many of the small pocket pistols do not have safeties.

If you’ve ever pulled the trigger on a Keltec P3AT like that one, you’d know why it really doesn’t need a safety. It’s a real long and strong pull. There is almost no way that trigger can be fired by accident.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Correct Sir.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”