Anchorage Alaska advice

I also posted this in the fly fishing section:

Going this summer to Anchorage and was wondering if anyone here has done this trip before. Looking for advice of what to pursue and what’s not worth the time. Planning on a week of just fishing. Just the guys, no ladies on this trip. I know I’m looking at sockeye and king salmon, rainbows if there’s time. We’re also taking a halibut trip offshore; you can’t go all the way to Alaska and not catch halibut!

Anyways, any advice is appreciated. Flights and accommodations are already taken care of, I just need to plan the itinerary now. Other than the halibut trip, we are exclusively looking at fly fishing for as many species as possible. What should we not miss?

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Bring a green screen so it will be easier to PS that giant flounder picture with a Demetre Park background. Watch out for bears.

First, Most, Biggest

I didn’t get to go fishing when I went, but I remember the locals telling me to not walk out on the mud flats. You will sink! So remember that when your driving around and see a sweet fishing spot. Also watch out for moose.

23 You can fish Ship Creek, which runs through downtown Anchorage. Make sure you know the Law’s. Last time I was up, you couldn’t walk across a Salmon spawning stream! The reason is that you kill Salmon eggs and fry every step you take! Also don’t get caught using the Alaskan Retrieve! A guide will keep you out of the jail house:wink:

Ship Creek is a little too crowded for me. I’ll probably end up fishing it since it’s close, but I’m going to try to focus on less populated areas. Try.

http://www.alaska.org/fishing/red-salmon

Bump, still looking for some Intel.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Bump, still looking for some Intel.

Hang out with the Brown’s…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yevd5nYn7vU

RBF

“Them that can brag without lying, let them brag.”

Got a cousin in Homer and her husband works all over. I will ask…

She says:

The Kenai River is about 3 1/2 hours south of Anchorage and has some of the best fishing in Alaska. He’ll have to check the regulations to see what fish flies are allowed for this time of year, but I’m thinking it’s pretty wide open in June. Also, he needs to follow the regulations. Fish and Game is all over the place and the penalties are steep. Tell him to head south on the Seward/Sterling highway and fish the Kenai from Cooper Landing to Kenai. There are accommodations, but camping is the best way to go. There are also some lakes around Talkeetna and Eclutna (north of anchorage) that I hear are good fishing, but I can’t see the sense in coming all this way for lake fishing.

Homer has the best halibut fishing and it’s only an hour and a half from Kenai. Tell him to call North Country Charters if he doesn’t already have something booked. He should talk to the charters before he comes down this way, because there are certain days charters scant go out, I know Thursday for sure, but I think they may have added a day.:

hope this helps

Buy “the Mile Post” and “The Alaska Roadside Angler”. Been up there, call me if you want.

“The good fisherman is surprised when he doesn’t catch fish: I am just the other way around.”
Gene Hill, Passing a Good Time.

Leave in two weeks, I’m excited.

23, have a good trip! Take lots of money, cause things are pricey up there! My last trip up cost $600 just to FEDEX the fish back! A lot of people get shipping boxes or coolers duct taped shut and carry it back on the same plane! One of those Styrofoam coolers you buy in Walmart will cost $11. But you need something, to keep the beer cold:smiley:

23 you also need to remember EVERYTHING in Alaska cost more than in the lower 48. When you go out to eat make sure to take lots of cash or get a credit card from the Pod to take with you lol. Trust me the wife will ask why you had to spend so much on food. Hope you have a good time buddy cause I know the views will be great.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Leaving in the morning; I’ll be lucky to sleep at all tonight!

Don’t forget batteries/charger for camera…enjoy.