anchoring on structure

search function is still down so I thought I’d ask about what and how you anchor on structure. I just got a Mighty Mite anchor and read a LOT of posts on The Hull Truth but wanted to ask some of you how you fish the local wrecks…when using a reef anchor do you really need chain? and if you don’t use chain should you use some hose or something to reduce the chaffing on your anchor line? I have a fluke style anchor for sandy or muddy bottom anchoring and have sticks and bricks for anchoring at the jetties, but 35-50’ structure anchoring is still pretty new to me. while I am stoked about using my new anchor sometime soon, I am concerned about making sure I take the precautions to reduce the chances of losing it…

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org

with a mity mite i would still use chain. at least 15-20 feet due to the high relief on some of the wrecks.however the chain doesn’t need to be as heavy as when using a danforth style.

i have used a danforth style for years without losing any. either anchor off the structure and back over it or use a break away system.

Jeff Davis is my President

the more chain the better.I use 20’ on a 32ft boat.
try deploying a small buoy over/near your spot.motor back to it and see what direction the wind and current are taking your buoy…hopefully in line.
I will motor ahead of the spot and slip the anchor in,do not throw.reverse toward your spot.you may have to do over,but usually it only takes once or twice more.
Take a trial run in the harbor or something,it is not hard to do,like alot of things,practice makes it only better.

If you do use a bouy to mark your spot, try adding a second bouy about 6 feet from the first one and it will give you a truer sense of the current flow. Then you can line up like you are running a pair of range markers.

Eddie Johnson
“Wastin Time”
197 Pioneer Sportfish
Okatie, SC

Bolbie and BH hit it on the nose, I basically do the same, drop a marker bouy, motor up stream , use a danforth and drop back over spot, sometimes will also use home made mighty mite type with line tied to base of it and then zip tie line to top of shank as a breakaway. Mainly use that to fine tune position or work the boat to left or right a bit or if boat is swinging too much off main anchor.
Just be real careful if trying to “grapple” right onto wreck with mighty mite without extra scope out, one good swell or wake can be disastrous.

Russ B.
God is great, Beer is good, People are crazy

I use 15’ of 5/8" galvanized chain, 16lb mighty might.

That will hold you on just about any bottom for boats 26’ or less.

Get the chain from Lowe’s or any hardware store.

I’m no superhero, but I do wear a cape sometimes…

quote:
Originally posted by ejinsc

If you do use a bouy to mark your spot, try adding a second bouy about 6 feet from the first one and it will give you a truer sense of the current flow. Then you can line up like you are running a pair of range markers.

Eddie Johnson
“Wastin Time”
197 Pioneer Sportfish
Okatie, SC

never thought of that…

Marker Bouy … Are you reading this Lynn … ; )

If you are lucky someone else will already be in the area and you can look at how they are set up “in the drift” and that cuts out some of your work for you right there.

Sanford in 2012!

quote:
Originally posted by Jazzed

Are you complaining again?? :wink:

Man, I tell ya, I can’t get no respect!! :frowning_face:

“Miss Amanda”
-KeyWest
-Bluewater 2020CC
-Yammy F-150
God is GOOD!! ALL the time!!
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor.
The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
</font id=“blue”>

quote:
Originally posted by lynnmcd
quote:

Are you complaining again?? :wink:

Man, I tell ya, I can’t get no respect!! :frowning_face:

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

your input on this matter, sir, is lacking…:stuck_out_tongue:

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

www.savethelight.org

Thank you Bozo! :clown_face: I try… [:0]:smiley::wink:

Jugs are a great idea. I also agree with Fritz.

Get out there and practice…:slightly_smiling_face:

“Miss Amanda”
-KeyWest
-Bluewater 2020CC
-Yammy F-150
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor.
</font id=“blue”>

There was some real good info being offered in the above posts. The 2-bouy thing . . very helpful. Amen to the “do not tie down too tight” advice! As far as I am concerned, this was one of the most useful threads I have seen on this site…thanks again to all,
NaClH20

so your marker bouys, do they have a weight on it or is it just something free floating so you can judge drift, wind and current? I mean could you just have a cork on a free-spooled rod?
■■■■, I can’t wait to get back on the water and try out some of these tactics…too cold for too long…and NaClH2O I agree that the cold temps should have a LOT of fish on the reefs right about now! WOOHOO!

www.savethelight.org

If ya have a gps/plotter. Find the spot with sounder, mark with gps, go dead in the water and note direction of drift with gps, motor recriprocal course thru mark a bit, drop danforth, drift back over mark, snub up, fish on! That’s when I used to sometimes use a grapple anchor to toss out and use to swing stern one way or other a bit, or if wind veers a bit.

Russ B.

we lost a m. mite at capers last year despite having chain on it…guess it dropped down into the wreck or pulled across it…cut the rope…started drifting and realized with a sick feeling that the new anchor and chain was now a gift to the fishs:frowning_face:…bonzo…do you have a “anchor puller” …no not your buddies:smiley:…one of the orange ball and ring things… we love ours and has saved us (and others nearby) many times…good investment! I use those pool noodles as markers…buy then and cut a section off…then can wrap your line around it when done …

miss’n fish’n
212 SEAHUNT

I lost a MM16 on its third use last year at Capers also. It did its job too good! [:0]:smiley::wink:
Plus, it was my birthday. :face_with_head_bandage: :angry:
Well, my next gift was another anchor, rope and chain. :slightly_smiling_face:

“Miss Amanda”
-KeyWest
-Bluewater 2020CC
-Yammy F-150
</font id=“blue”>

and a poly ball
: )

I absolutely love my anchor puller! works like a charm every time I push that button on the dash!! :slight_smile: (had to)

Russ B.

quote:

and a poly ball
: )

That’s right!!

Thanks!! :slightly_smiling_face::smiley:

“Miss Amanda”
-KeyWest
-Bluewater 2020CC
-Yammy F-150
</font id=“blue”>