Another Firearms Related Question

I have half an AR (lower) so I need an upper to finish it. I am looking at 2 different uppers (Aero Precision) and am torn between a standard barrel and a pencil barrel. I like the looks and somewhat lighter weight (I know, negligible) of the pencil barrel. Any real reason to stay away from a pencil barrel?

Thanks

Of all my firearms related questions that come up, I’d only ask Leadenwah and Salty and you!

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

If you plan on running fast rates of fire (bumpstock or full auto?) the pencil barrel can get hot quickly and can suffer from “barrel droop” which can affect accuracy. Otherwise, if you’re just plinking with it and want a lightweight setup, it’ll be fine!

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I’m more of a pistol guy, still learning about these AR’s.

That’s what I was thinking Buddy but wanted someone’s opinion that had more knowledge than me. If we have a Zombie apocalypse, a pencil barrel will be the least of my worries.

Thanks

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

There are three things you don’t want the word “pencil” associated with.They are barrel, neck and d***, so there you go.:wink:

Look at it like this, a pencil barrel is “lightweight” for light duty. As leadenwahboy said, stick with that approach and it’ll be fine.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

Pencil barrels tend to be less accurate even at low to moderate rates of fire. Different harmonics, heat and overall stiffness. In other words they “flex” more. I’m not a big AR guy, own one but couldn’t tell you the last time I shot it. I got into the varmint, heavier contour for a while and still prefer that from shooting longer range and benchwrork. For carry and hunting I’ve gone back to sporterweight contours and balanced rifles, just more comfortable to hunt with. All that to say I’d go with the heavier option unless it’s a SHTF type truck gun or light duty.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne