Another old truck issue

I have a 2000 ford f150 long bed 4.6 auto, HD towing package. It has 255K miles and runs great! It has a completely rebuilt front suspension including all joints pitman & idler arm new steering gear replaced the trans, new brakes, aftermarket rebuilt rear end, coil over rear shocks, fairly new injectors . New fuel than & pump. The only thing with the full age & miles is the engine. I have only used synthetic oil and changed regularly. It consistently gets 17 MPG loaded. I need the extra long bed to haul long heavy things , and the truck is not driven around town - only interstate road miles. Long road miles! Some of my buddies tell me to get rid of it before it dies - what do you think? Theres a lot of new parts

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

I have a 2000 ford f150 long bed 4.6 auto, HD towing package. It has 255K miles and runs great! It has a completely rebuilt front suspension including all joints pitman & idler arm new steering gear replaced the trans, new brakes, aftermarket rebuilt rear end, coil over rear shocks, fairly new injectors . New fuel than & pump. The only thing with the full age & miles is the engine. I have only used synthetic oil and changed regularly. It consistently gets 17 MPG loaded. I need the extra long bed to haul long heavy things , and the truck is not driven around town - only interstate road miles. Long road miles! Some of my buddies tell me to get rid of it before it dies - what do you think? Theres a lot of new parts

Since you axed, used motor or crate motor since you replaced about everything else. DIY or shop can do it. You use your truck for business, so tax write off is also a consideration. Comes down to how much you like the truck. Run it till it drops and call AAA to come get you.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

What mdaddy said. Lot’s of options for crate motors with warranty. Now let’s start worrying about the transmission…

Go by a Cat or J.D. dealer and get an oil sample bottle and see what comes back. If all good run her some more! Unless you have some really bad luck and an instantaneous failure the samples will show you signs of a coming failure.

Clean around your drain plug really good and after it is draining fill the bottle taking caution not to get any contaminants in it. Cap it off and send it to the lab. Easy peasy.

what’s the issue- lots of miles left in that truck- keep it and put a truck payment in the piggy bank until it dies- then get another. In todays market if a regular cab $2500
extra cab $3000 crew cab $4000. Somebody will buy it for a work truck.

Truck payment suck. Collision Insurance is high. My wife has a 2000 or 2001 f150. Has over 400 thousand miles on it.she don’t drive it much but won’t get rid of it. The last truck I had I sold it with 350 plus thousand. My everyday truck 09 GMC has over 300 thousand on it. I’ll be dragging a boat to Boca grande pass & key largo end of May. No worries. Starting to look around for something. $20-25,000 range.cash looking for a deal. So somebody’s got something I may be interested.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

One thing I overheard an older guy say, “If I don’t spend my money on this, my heirs will, so I’m going to enjoy it.”…Buy a new truck if you can afford it.

Just don’t buy any Fords newer that 2010. You will wish you never did!!! Work on these newer 2015-2019 F150 trucks way more than I care too. Not to mention all the current problems that constantly take place with our fleet during the warranty period. The engineers have just about dialed it in to a few thousand miles past warranty before parts fail. You gave been warned!!!

“If you can’t fix a woman, chase some tail with fins and fur!!!”

2008 Sea Pro 1900cc w/115

(2) Daughters that make the boys cry

(1) wife that makes her husband take the kids outdoors to chase their dreams!

quote:
Originally posted by SplitTailBasics

Just don’t buy any Fords newer that 2010. You will wish you never did!!! Work on these newer 2015-2019 F150 trucks way more than I care too. Not to mention all the current problems that constantly take place with our fleet during the warranty period. The engineers have just about dialed it in to a few thousand miles past warranty before parts fail. You gave been warned!!!

“If you can’t fix a woman, chase some tail with fins and fur!!!”

2008 Sea Pro 1900cc w/115

(2) Daughters that make the boys cry

(1) wife that makes her husband take the kids outdoors to chase their dreams!

I’d say the same for 2013-up Dodges, my 5500 just hit 60,000 … failed turbo, cracked exhaust manifold, two water pumps, Alt, and after several trips for Emissions related issues I’ve finally made it 3,000 miles with out a CEL on. Oh yea, three failed front hubs. two driver side and one passenger side.

They all have their issues. Got a few new Chevy 2500 diesels… Injectors in 3 of em around the 20,000 mile mark plus several other issues. Still better luck out of the new Fords. :smiley:

I’d be pissed if my truck died at 60,000 miles. Love my Tundra.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?