Any EMTs Out There?

My son is a rising college junior. He is majoring in biology/Pre Med and plans to either go to PA school. He needs to get some kind of medical related certification and has looked at Phlebotomy and EMT certification. He wants to do the EMT certification and wants to do so during the school year. The college offers a class in the evenings. He takes a full load of 16 hours and is an RA so he has obligations to work in his dorm during the week.

Are there any EMTs here on CF? If so, can you tell me how intensive the certification class is? 200 hours sounds like a lot to bite off along with his regular classes and his RA responsibilities. I don’t want his grades to suffer due to taking on too much.

Trying to help him make an informed decision. Any input appreciated.

I don’t know for a fact personally, but a lot of my co-workers have the certification and it’s no easy task. It’s a ton of work on the front end

“mr keys”

Hi, this is GW’s girlfriend. I am currently in PA school at MUSC and I obtained my EMT-basic certification before starting the grad program. I actually took the course once in high school but wasn’t old enough for certification so I took it again after graduating college. My course was about 3 or 4 days a week for maybe 5 weeks. I did not find it to be too intense and I was able to take another course or two while working as well. There is a decent amount of academic learning and then the more fun interactive activities come into play. Especially with a biology background in undergrad, he would be at an advantage with some of the medical knowledge. Once the course is completed, you usually have to pass a practical with a live “patient” to show you know your skills. Once that is completed, you must pass a written exam and then you are certified and can be hired. EMT-basics can’t do a whole lot but can work on ambulances or even in hospitals and can learn a lot from the paramedics they spend a lot of time with. It’s a good way to get used to seeing blood, taking blood pressures, and gaining some general medical experience.

In terms of PA school… some schools don’t require this experience but it looks much better if you do have it. PA is a great career goal and there is definitely a need. I would be more than happy to answer any other questions you or your son may have. Hope this helps!

First, Most, Biggest

Hey, thank you very much. Sound sliek he could take the class during the summer rather than during school. I may holler back at you if you’d be willing to talk to my son. He is also considering Perfusionist school. Thanks again.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?