Any guitar dudes 'round here?

My mom bought my dad this guitar when I was one year old. It’s a Sunburst 1961 Gibson LG-2 ADJ. My dad played a little. Mostly it sat around the house and somehow survived four boys growing up. I’ve seen it fall and smack the floor more times than I can recall. In the 80’s, I told my parents that I didn’t care if I got anything else, but I wanted that guitar when it was time. When dad passed away in August 2017, I brought it home with me.

It just sat in the closet for over a year but I decided to start playing again last November. The action was so high that it made fretting really painful. A friend of mine took it and made some truss rod adjustments which helped a little, but he suggested I take it to a luthier for a professional set up. I took his advice and WOW did it ever make a difference. It plays and sounds really nice, and I have been playing 6-8 hours every week. The luthier said he could re-fret it and it would play even better. I’m thinking about doing that too. Playing has been a good chill for me and it makes me think of my dad. He would be surprised at how well his guitar sounds and plays now. Show me yours!

Nice guitar. Your Dad had great taste in guitars. I don’t have any Gibson acoustics but have a few electrics and they are very well built.

On having a ‘pro’ set it up, I think there are so many styles of playing that most guitar techs set them up as ‘all purpose’. After a while you may want to look at some youtube videos on setups that are more suited to your style. I used to have pros set up my guitars and they were always good but when I learned to customize my setup to my style of playing it made my playing so much more enjoyable.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

Dude, cool guitar and cool story.

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

I have to admit that it intimidates me to try to adjust my guitar. Maybe some day I’ll give it a shot with my cheaper guitar. If I messed up my $200 guitar I could live with it. I don’t want to mess this one up. I don’t know that I’m good enough to have a style, but I sure would like to think that it’s bluegrass.

quote:
Originally posted by DueSouth

Nice guitar. Your Dad had great taste in guitars. I don’t have any Gibson acoustics but have a few electrics and they are very well built.

On having a ‘pro’ set it up, I think there are so many styles of playing that most guitar techs set them up as ‘all purpose’. After a while you may want to look at some youtube videos on setups that are more suited to your style. I used to have pros set up my guitars and they were always good but when I learned to customize my setup to my style of playing it made my playing so much more enjoyable.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it right.
14’ Duracraft w/twin 25 Johnsons
http://www.myspace.com/myduesouth

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?