Anybody ever dealt with Carmax?

Thinking about upgrading trucks soon. I see they have some really low mileage ones I’m interested in, but would love to hear from someone who has bought from them recently. I am trading in my current truck, and wonder if they are any good to deal with.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

They suck. Go somewhere else. They offer the lowest trade in known to man. They don’t sell quality cars either. I have found so many issues looking at their vehicles. With the way dealers are selling new these days, I would go buy new. You will get a crazy low APR, and if you time it right can get a new one for the price of a low mileage used truck. Just my .02.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks, that’s what I was afraid of.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I would have to agree with G, it seems they treat every one as uneducated when it comes to car values…I don’t feel like typing a long story, and I wont say I had a bad experience either, they are in business to make money, but they can make it off of the next guy, not me…

To give you an idea, on my 2006 2500HD with really high miles they offered $5k. The GMC place offered $6k, they would have offered more, but they were making zero money on my car deal, so they low balled me on the trade as well. Lexus place offered $7k even though they were giving about $5k already off of the new one, and I sold it on CL for $8500 in less than 24 hours.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

From what I remember the guy telling me a couple years ago, they offer low because they will be spending $1.5K-$2K “reconditioning” your car to get it in “perfect shape” for their lot, so that they can hopefully make a profit of about $2K…like I said, get it from the next guy…

I’ve been to carmax a few times and saw the same thing. Their prices were too high and their trade in values were too low. Never felt like I was seeing a “good deal” there.

A relative sold their Toyota to CarMax and said it was the easiest transaction he ever dealt with when it came to cars. Got what he wanted also.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Depends on what you are looking for. I got a screaming deal on a minivan that was a rental car for 1 yr. Guaranteed maintenance records and no issues- not worried about the inside too much because it is gonna get barfed on anyway.

Their used trucks are $$ though - and you can probably get 2k selling more on CL if you have a vehicle with high demand and are willing to tolerate tire kicker hell.

Selling stuff is an art, and people that go through “tire kicker hell” just don’t know what they are doing. I’ve sold a boat, backhoe,and truck on CL, not to mention tons of small things like golf carts, etc. and every transaction was sold for cash to pretty much the first person that I met.

You have to know how to avoid the folks wanting to help you sell it, and also how to quickly weed out the scammers when they text you or email. When I sold my truck a few weeks ago I had about 15 texts from people that I immediately sent back a message that the truck is already sold. Met a guy in less than 24 hours with cash in hand and he drove it off back to Charleston. Could I have gotten another $1000, maybe. But it wasn’t worth the hassle.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Carmax DriveTyme are buy her - pay here dealers. The down payment is large - weekly payments w/ no credit check. They’re hoping you miss a payment so they can repo the car, the buyer loses everything, and sell it again. When I was younger I worked for dealer like these. Sold cars & repo’ed They say they can help people with bad credit improve, but the cost is way too much

I am looking at a 2016 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie. Their advertised prices are competitive, especially with the mileage, but I know I won’t get squat for my 07 1500 2wd SLT. I’m going to wait a while any way, but when I do buy, I may just find a new 2016 left over for just about the same price, but the dealer will be happy to get rid of.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

It’s nice to go get an offer for your used car from them just to have with you when you negotiate your trade in. That way you know if the other dealer is really screwing you.

Didn’t realize you were looking for a Ram diesel. Those are a bit tougher to get a huge deal on as they are in high demand around here. A leftover 2016 might be the way to go, but in that case a used low mileage one of those is pretty hard to hurt and as long as the price is right you should be ok at Carmax. Never hurts to see what kind of deal they could swing since you are looking at such a high priced vehicle. They may give you a decent trade to get the sale and financing through them.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Carmax is not a bad car dealer !!
I bought my daughters car their
but i did my own financing and saved $10,000.00
on her a Toyota with 5k miles and still under
factory warranty !!!
But dont offer a trade they wont give u anything for it
better off to sell it outright yourself !!:wink:

The whole “No haggle pricing” kind of scares me off from them also. I like to haggle…

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

For a couple of thousand dollars more you can buy a new one. Plus you can probably haggle some more and get a better trade.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=NewCarsTab&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=t58740&distance=300&zip=29212#listing=155861294

Lots of other ones listed as well. I recommend Car Gurus for all car searching. Dealers post real bottom dollar pricing on some models and it saves a bunch of trips to dealers and annoying phone calls.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Remember their are no hidden fees like
dealer prep fees and if look around for
what you want they do have Great deals on some
cars and trucks !!

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

For a couple of thousand dollars more you can buy a new one. Plus you can probably haggle some more and get a better trade.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=NewCarsTab&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=t58740&distance=300&zip=29212#listing=155861294

Lots of other ones listed as well. I recommend Car Gurus for all car searching. Dealers post real bottom dollar pricing on some models and it saves a bunch of trips to dealers and annoying phone calls.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I have been using car gurus for a couple years now. That’s how we found out last few vehicles. I actually want the big horn trim, but when I see a laramie with less than 10k miles on it for less than a new big horn, it made me think a little.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Bought an old rental car from them a few years back with 9k miles. At 53k now with no issues. Financed through them at a great rate.

First, Most, Biggest