Anyone ever heard of?

While cleaning out the shed in the back yard I came across some of my Dad’s old fishing equipment. Among them is a rod with an old Penn spinning reel but what was interesting is the rod had “Handcrafted by John’s Rod and Reel for …” Anyone know anything about the craftsman? My father lived in McClellanville and worked in Charleston. I need to clean it all up since they still have pluff mud from Hugo on them so I’ll probably send the reel to Haddrells but the rod has my curiosity up.
Thanks for the help.

John’s rod and reel used to be by ye old fashioned in west ashley what is now a papa johns or dominos I believe. They did rodbuilding/repairs and it was also a tackle shop. been about ten years prob since they went out of buisiness or moved whatever happened to them

strip…strip…FISH ON!

Before that they were where Hadrells West Ashley shop. Gail used to build rods for Billy. </font id=“blue”>

I had one years ago that said the same. Not sure but I think the guy that made them was named Mr. Blocker. Gene, formerly of John’s Rod and Reel(where Hadrells west ashley is now)and formerly of Charleston Angler west ashley would know.

quote:
Originally posted by Patientmaker

I had one years ago that said the same. Not sure but I think the guy that made them was named Mr. Blocker. Gene, formerly of John’s Rod and Reel(where Hadrells west ashley is now)and formerly of Charleston Angler west ashley would know.

Yep.

big dog

Thanks for the response. It’s a nice piece of craftmanship and definitely a pleasant surprise. He had several rigs, some with Penns and even a large Garcia offshore reel. I also came across his fly rod and reel that was also hand made for him. Best I can tell about it is it’s over 60 years old.

If you make a visit to Haddrell’s Point WA you can shake Mr. Blocker’s hand. He still does reel repair there.

Thanks!! I’ll be coming to Folly this Friday for a 10 day vacation so I’ll definitely try to look him up.

I had one made for for my Dad.It was for fathers day.Sometime around 1980.It was made where the Hadrells is now.I remember Billy but cannot remember who made it.

There was a place called “The Real John’s” beside Ye olde Fashioned which, I think was owned by family of the original “John’s Rod and Reel” which, saddly, went out of business after the owner died…I think. Wasn’t the original store was behind South Windermere shopping center? Or, was there one before that?

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott