Anyone king fishing?

Heading out tomorrow morning on the hunt. Just trolling a spread of ballyhoo, Yozuri Bonitas, spoons and X-rap/stretch…70-100’ black banks. Didn’t know if anyone has had recent success that deep trolling.

Mike Martinez

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s

They should certainly be around by now. Depending on what time you are leaving, you could get some live menhaden at first light. There is no more potent bait for kings than a slow trolled live menhaden.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

I’ll be at Remleys @ 6:00AM. I don’t know where to go to cast net for Menhaden. I see where people say different spots but the lighthouse, this beach etc don’t mean anything to me because I don’t know where they are referring too. I’m hoping to find some nice new to me bottom numbers on Black Banks

Mike Martinez

PM sent 23

Mike Martinez

Look in the shallow area behind fort sumter…you’ll see them flipping on the surface. Don’t bother throwing that net until you see them popping on the surface.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Sounds good thanks. 40inchreds who always goes knows where everything is so he’s gonna point me in the right direction. We are going to spend 30 minutes or so scouting for bait before we go.

Mike Martinez

Kings were in eye sight of beach today feeding on menhaden.

Finding the menhaden just off the beach in about 7-10’ of water in front of Morris Island and down to the Lighthouse. X2 on throwing the net as soon as you see flipping on top water. It’s been taking about 30 minutes to pickup a bait well full but I’ve seen others next to us with the (**() net swimming away from the boat in one cast - it’s still fishing I guess;)

for trolling a live menhaden do you just put the menhaden only on the rig or do you have a squid skirt or anything on it? where im at (fl/ga border) ill have no problem finding bait and usually just catch them by snagging with a treble hook. i almost always find lots of tarpon smashing the schools, but have only ever landed sharks and sail cats with 1 small cobia stealing a bait right beside me, but all rigs had a plastic squid with it. ive caught a couple snake kings from a charter, but want to get one from the yak this year. ive talked to other people doing the same thing and they all say kings are definitely there to be caught along with tarpon, jacks, bull reds, spaniards, cobia, and big blues, but havent gotten one yet.

quote:
for trolling a live menhaden do you just put the menhaden only on the rig

Yes, fish them naked and slow. In a yak, just a good drift is all you need for speed.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

sounds good ill give that a go. tried surf fishing today and saw a few small schools of menhaden in the breakers (didnt get any in the cast net) and saw a couple boats within a mile of shore if that. looking around for bait/birds with the spotting scope i just got 1 of em had outriggers out and trolling. once i see reliable numbers of menhaden ill definitely try just drifting.