Anyone know a thing or 2 about central air.

Noticed the house was getting a little warm so I checking the thermostat and it read 78. Ac is set at 74. Checked fuse panel. All OK. Went out back and checked the unit and the pipes were covered with ice and it was still running, but no air was was blowing inside. So I went back inside and turned the fan from auto to on and it worked. So I just turned the unit off. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Most likely a little low on refrigerant, also be sure inside filters
are clean. If you turn system off long enough to defrost it should
go back to working but will freeze up again shortly if above conditions aren’t corrected. These are imo the most likely and the best case scenario . If refrig. is low , ya gotta find the leak, Hope this helps!!!:smiley:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

quote:
Originally posted by gail wins

Most likely a little low on refrigerant, also be sure inside filters
are clean. If you turn system off long enough to defrost it should
go back to working but will freeze up again shortly if above conditions aren’t corrected. These are imo the most likely and the best case scenario . If refrig. is low , ya gotta find the leak, Hope this helps!!!:smiley:

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Thanks George. Filter is only a couple weeks old and pretty clean. Is there another filter other than the cold air return one? I would need a pro to find and fix a leak I’m guessing.

2014 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

1995 Searay 175 Series

Rob ; there is possibility of several different issues ie; expansion
valve or orfice troubles, dirty condenser , evaporator coils , all of which you’ll need to call in a service tech, these are the worse
case issues. In case of low refrig. yes to service tech!!!

author unknown

Like said before prob low on freon but i would suggest cleaning off the condensor and evaporator coils first. Ive got people on yearly contracts for cleaning and its really amazing how dirty a coil will get in a short period of time especially if you throw grass clippings towards it while cutting the lawn while its running.
ondensor is the one outside on a split system or the coil that wraps around the compressor. If you dont have access to anywhere that sells condensor coil cleaner(which is best) you can use a diluted solution of purple power in a pinch. Just make sure power is off and spray it off really good with water after a good soaking of cleaner. Grainger sells evap coil cleaner in a aerosol can that works pretty good for the indoor coil on split systems. Heat pumps or gas packs its a little more difficult to get to because of its location inside shroud. But if none of this works its time to call a tech.

84 HYDRA SPORT 1800SS
89 Yamaha 150
‘BAD HABIT’
89 TRACKER 17 TX
MERC 50
‘OL LEAKY’

Wstrickland on this site…he be the one to get you up and running right!

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

quote:
Originally posted by penfishn

Wstrickland on this site…he be the one to get you up and running right!

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Thanks but already got it fixed. Tech said cap came loose and freon all leaked out. Sounded off to me but it seems to be fixed now. Fairly inexpensive fix.

2014 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

1995 Searay 175 Series