Anyone know what these are?

This was in a small creek off the coosaw river. I’m guessing some kind of aquatic farming.

Around the next bend was this massive sea wall. This is only one side and not showing the whole length. I could only imagine the money tied up in this!! Beautiful place

and while I’m adding pics saw many boats at Morgan Island, but only one lone monkey and this stupid stingray.

1 Like

Floating oyster pens!

Muscles?
Added to get the 10 characters

For real? You pullin my chain?

Fred, I didn’t realize this was already posted here when I commented on your other post ha… I’ll catch up eventually

Man, I’m sorry I did not want to double post but I could not find this earlier so I reposted.

They had me wanting to snoop around them but i figured that could get me in trouble. Got any links or more info on them? It was a long area. I guess commercial stuff?

barbawang told you guys what they are. He’s a real deal waterman, he knows stuff.

Its where single selects come from

anyway, these may not be exactly as you saw, but this is what it was

Go Deep Oyster Floats · Hoopers Island

Thanks Fred,oysters are gonna be as easy to get as crabs.haha

2 Likes

Oysters have always been easier for me to get than crabs… just have to have a boat you don’t give a rip about. :grinning: low tide, welding gloves, rubber boots, a couple of bushel baskets along with some 5 gallon buckets, a claw hammer to make clusters into selects, a wife that you have to stop because she’s getting too many… two people and 4 bushels, you just can’t beat that. Pre washed in the ocean before they even hit the boat. I do love some clusters, but when you take the time to harvest them yourself and break up the clusters removing the “junk mud oysters” and such. MMMM what a wonder!

https://www.scseagrant.org/how-single-oyster-mariculture-works/

$2-4 oysters and $5 blue crabs… never thought i’d see the day

2 Likes

Helluva read, thanks!

Sea Clouds… yea, that has a nice ring to it

Decades back, my younger brother took my by monkey island to show me the monkies. None. Not a one. Just a bunch of scary fed gov’t no trespassing signs. Floated around and looked at the trees for a while. No monkies.

Then, the one door on the one single wide mobile home on the property swung open and a guy stumbles out carrying 4 of 5-gallon buckets full of fruit. It rained monkies. Dozens if not hundreds of them. They’d been sitting in those trees watching us look for them. They were right there. We knew they should be there and we couldn’t see them. Until lunch showed up.

I have been wanting to take a trip to monkey island!! A friend went out there and said he saw no monkeys though… Any advice on when to go?

Yes inquiring minds want to know.
Wife would like to ride out there and check out the monkeys also.
That’s a good little Hall to drag the boat down from North Myrtle Beach.
Then not see any monkeys.

When I was spending a lot of time around Edisto we went to Morgan island often. I have lost 2 anchors around that sign and shack, its full of trees, so beware.

If you are lucky enough to be there during the times they feed them (i never kept up with times, but earlier in the day the better i think) you will see maybe 2 dozen some days and 50 or more on other days.

The signs say not to feed nor “molest” the monkeys, but a friend of a friend told me his brothers ex wifes half brother told him that chunking apples up and under the trees around the sign will coax a few out more often than not.

Also, just south of Morgan Island is Dataw island. Those feeder creeks coming off Dataw and feeding into the Morgan are worth your time. Not much pressure on the fish and the whole area is extremely “fishy”

Dont forget a bag of chunking apples

I can give no rhyme nor reason to seeing them or time of day. Just hit and miss, but mostly I’ve been lucky. Like EF said sometimes a few, sometimes a lot. I’ve seen different “troops” move in and chase off other. I’ve been told that they keep about 3000 for breeding on the island. Like ef said you aren’t supposed to feed them. But if you were to do that, whole corn (dear corn) works well. I’ve even heard they go crazy over Boiled peanuts and will chase each other around in a very comedic way to get one.

If you want to call me, I’d be happy to give you detailed directions. Fishing is not bad there Either. Only caught one spot tail but quit a few trout. Nothing huge. And some black drum. like EF said dont’ anchor too close to the bluff due to debris. headed in stay to the far left, first “cross road” take a right. From there to the dock and high bluff channel is 20-30’ deep.