Anyone looking for Corn

Just throwing this out there.

Just picked up 60 ears (roughly a bushel) for $25. Tender and no worms. Not a bad deal. 1660 possum corner road Walterboro. call before coming 843-631-zero Nine fourteen.

That looks great!

What type of garlic do you grow? Those cloves look huge!

I wish I knew for sure. I got it probably 20 years ago off a plantation that had a 1/4 acre of it growing. The Caretaker said it was there when he came and called it “old World” garlic. Sometimes it will be just one single huge bulb like an onion. Be glad to give you some. What I don’t dig up just comes back each year.

Dang I wish I’d have seen that sooner. I just come back through from Georgia

I love some good corn on the cob. Most of what you get in the stores these days has no taste.

Oh yes. I will be in touch.

Elephant garlic maybe ? Larger and milder than the smaller garlic types.

Someone else told me that… maybe? I did some looking on line and never realized there are so many varieties of garlic. They call the single bulbs “solo” garlic and most I see are purplish, mine has no purple. A lot of it puts off small “babies” around the clove. Once you get it established it is very hardy.

No doubt, we bought some for Fathers day from the grocery store and was very disappointed. bland and a little tough. Wish we had this stuff. Boiled up a few ears last night … Super Sweet and extremely tender!

I’m not affiliated with this place just passing it on.

Try this for corn, put in the microwave for 3-4 minutes, don’t husk or remove silk. The silk will just fall off . Im not usually a microwave fan but tried this and unless Im grilling it, this is the only way I cook it now.

I do it in microwave also same way.

Done this and yes it works! Also seems to give the corn a Better “cornier” taste… something like that. also fresh picked small yellow squash cut in half with butter salt and pepper in micro wave like this.

Ok hers another one. Peel back the husk apply butter and favorite seasoning cover back up with husks… might have to use string to hold together and then grill it untill husks dry out enough to catch fire.

For grilling I go with the mexican method, mayo and chili powder and then lime juice after its cooked. Microwave does not lose part of the taste in the water, even better than steaming which makes sense. Ive even done shrimp instead of boiling.

Thanks Fred! looks like a hardneck variety of some kind. have tried growing elephant garlic but just didn’t love the taste, not quite real garlic flavor IMO. I am learning slowly what seems to work and what doesn’t. carrots do great interplanted with garlic, onions, and shallots.

I’ve messed with a rocambole variety that seemed to do fine, but I learnt that the bigger the clove you plant, the better the head comes out of it… i won’t be planting any of the little ones anymore!

Do the same thing with the corn except paprika instead of chili powder.
Learn something today.
I just thought garlic was garlic.

I found a place called Big Moon Farm. $4 / dozen. Some of the best I’ve had in a long time. Lucky me it’s only 15 minutes away. It’s on Holley Ferry Rd at Hwy 391. That’s near Leesville. Limited hours.

Plenty of other vegatables. Google it for info. They have a FB page and also do prepared baskets.