Anyone seen a Goose set in a tree?

This is a first for me. Was walking a back field and saw a lone Goose getting aggressive with me. I was thinking what the heck, I don’t see a hen around here. Just happened to look up and this Goose has a nest in the crock of a live oak. Probably 15-18’ up!! Never seen this before. Also very early for Geese to set. We’ve got a couple in the normal spots by the pond, but Never ever seen one up a tree like this. Hope the babies can take a fall!

Pics are hard to see, but it’s the real thing. Counted a total of 165 geese last week in the hay fields. Too many!

and to add to this post, I believe this is going to be a bad year for mosquitoes!! darn things are already biting! even after this cool snap.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Rats with wings

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Rats with wings

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

BIG rats with wings… They say 10 geese will eat as much grass as one full grown cow. I could believe that. I’ve seen them devastate rye grass that Dad has planted for his cows.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I got no use for cats or geese. Think it should be open season on anything that reproduces that much and craps all over everything without any consideration.

We as a society have managed to somewhat control the population of deer and dogs, but for some reason we can’t get a grasp on geese and cats.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Fred, is that a Canada goose nest? Never heard or seen that before. At the peak Maryland had 750,000 Canadian geese overwinter here in the 1970-80s, since declined to about 190,000 & now we have a significant population of resident geese & even have a resident geese hunting season. Seems like every place that has a water source has at least a pair of geese here year round. Golf courses loathe them. When permitted, you can have them removed & re-locate or donated to food centers. They were a good source of revenue for Md. in the hayday but locals got very effective in harvesting. The better you were the more money followed, we went from a 3 bird limit per man to a 5 year hunting ban. I still love to hunt them, nothing better than a bunch backstrokin over your decoys with their feet out. Cooked in a crockpot all day & served with mashed taters, peas & gravy, umm umm good! If you get a clear up-close photo I’d sure like to show my huntin buddies cuz they wouldn’t believe it.

Flying poop machines. And, they’re Canadian.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Bayrider7365

Fred, is that a Canada goose nest? Never heard or seen that before. At the peak Maryland had 750,000 Canadian geese overwinter here in the 1970-80s, since declined to about 190,000 & now we have a significant population of resident geese & even have a resident geese hunting season. Seems like every place that has a water source has at least a pair of geese here year round. Golf courses loathe them. When permitted, you can have them removed & re-locate or donated to food centers. They were a good source of revenue for Md. in the hayday but locals got very effective in harvesting. The better you were the more money followed, we went from a 3 bird limit per man to a 5 year hunting ban. I still love to hunt them, nothing better than a bunch backstrokin over your decoys with their feet out. Cooked in a crockpot all day & served with mashed taters, peas & gravy, umm umm good! If you get a clear up-close photo I’d sure like to show my huntin buddies cuz they wouldn’t believe it.

Yes canadian. Not much light for a pic and all you can see of her is the head. If not for the mad Daddy that wouldn’t leave I would have never spotted her.

We counted 165 of them in one of the hay fields last week. All I’ve seen for babies have been 3-5, but last year we had two hens with 13 and one with 12, several others having 6-8. Must have been a good year for em.