anyone towing with a Toyota 4 runner ??

Once again flirting with the idea of selling my Ram truck and getting a 4 runner. Around town I am not to worried about if it can do it I am more interested in how it does on the interstate and MPG at 65-70 mph.I tow to the keys once a year and 26 hours of scary towing is not something I’m interested in. How does the shorter wheel base work?
Would be doing my 21 bay boat no T-top.
Thank you

Flat Bottom
I pull my 19’ CC with T-Top and 150 hp Yamaha around town and short hauls with no issues from my Old 1998 Toyota Forerunner with 2WD and 253,000 miles on it. Have not put it to test for any long hauls.

Victor
SAKATUMI TRAE
19’ SEA PRO CC // 150 HP YAMAHA

I have pulled my 24’ bay boat with a 2007 4 runner limited V-8 with 7200# towing capacity. Handling was fine but stopping was sometimes scary. This is really a problem on wet roads as the ABS brakes pulse and let the hydraulic trailer brakes surge on and off. That causes you and your rig to slide. I had to change my britches a couple of times because of this. The new 4 runners have only got a 6 cylinder engine and a 5000# capacity. Your boat, motor, trailer, and gear would be approaching that. Make sure that you also consider the GCWR. Your trailer towing capacity goes down as you load the inside of the vehicle with passengers and luggage. For instance; 4 people and your luggage and gear can easily lower your 5000# towing capacity to 3500# because of the GCWR. That said, I think if I were going this route, I would put electric brakes on the trailer with a adjustable and hand operated switch under the dash.

Electric brakes and salt water? My trailers with electric breaks need rebuilding often from road salt!

I would opt for electric over hydraulic but etrailer.com does offer a totally electric that works if properly installed.
https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/february/electric-over-hydraulic-brakes.asp

Misslilly, thanks for shareing, neat idea!

How many time ya come up on a traffic light and leave some extra space in front to gear down only to have some clown tuck in from another lane? Good to have the capability to compensate when those issues arise.
Elect, over hydraulic with stainless discs, calipers, brackets and backing pads: may set ya back a few weekends of adult beverages & filet mignons at the yuppie joints but sure easy to just rinse off and count on the $^&* to work when needed.

Thanks for the replies … something brought me back to the dodge dealership to price our another truck I’m pretty sure I can get a nice tan for the price of a 4 runner.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)