Anyone using standard fluorocarbon for leaders?

If I am fishing any structure I am using P-line CXX or Yozuri hybrid for leaders. Over the years they have proven to be much more abrasion resistant than florou in real fishing situations. Florou used to be marketed as low stretch as well until tackletour actually proved that wrong in their testing. You also see tinted florou on the market now so that answers some of the visibility marketing claims as well. Yes I have used florou leaders for years but in my experience I have had more breaks offs with it than a good copolymer like the ones above.

Here’s a good read, the abrasion test was compared to trilene xl which is not the most abrasion resistant http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

quote:
Originally posted by 5151

Here’s a good read, the abrasion test was compared to trilene xl which is not the most abrasion resistant http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Thanks for the link. That’s an interesting test that seems to refute a lot of what I previously thought. Curious to know whether anyone has done a similar test with leader material?

Hey, Dude. If you’d take the time to read the previous posts, you would see I’m comparing SPOOLABLE fluoro to SPOOLABLE mono and clearly said I would be doing some tinkering with lines specifically made for leaders. Choose any weight of your choice with this kind if testing. It matters none. It’s all relative, even though mono does have slightly more stretch than fluoro. Also, with fluoro having such poor knot strength, you are starting with 15-25 percent less strength than premium mono right off the bat. I DID NOT however do testing with WET lines. I will do that during this windy weekend. It’s been my personal experience that fluoro leaders SEEM to stay STRONGER, LONGER, and that could be because mono MAY degrade quicker in the elements. In order to test that, I will have to leave out some lines in the weather, and test them in a few weeks. Bottom line, my motivation is to find the line that is the thinnest, strongest, least visible, and holds up the longest for leaders. I care none whether that ultimately is mono or fluoro. That is why I am taking my time to do some simple testing. Your motivation seems to be to dispute EVERYTHING I post. How about you do a little reasearch or tinkering on your own, and report what you find. When you get something concrete to back all your theories, pleses let us all know.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude
quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

Quote from who? Just think how I feel (duped) after purchasing easily $1,000 of Fluoro in the last few years thinking it was more abrasion resistant along with the other qualities such as less visible and less stretch. Every saltwater outfit I own is spooled with braid with a fluoro leader. I am not disputing the latter 2 points, but abrasion resistance is a JOKE compared to mon

quote:

Hey, Dude. If you’d take the time to read the previous posts, you would see I’m comparing SPOOLABLE fluoro to SPOOLABLE mono and clearly said I would be doing some tinkering with lines specifically made for leaders. Choose any weight of your choice with this kind if testing. It matters none. It’s all relative, even though mono does have slightly more stretch than fluoro. Also, with fluoro having such poor knot strength, you are starting with 15-25 percent less strength than premium mono right off the bat. I DID NOT however do testing with WET lines. I will do that during this windy weekend. It’s been my personal experience that fluoro leaders SEEM to stay STRONGER, LONGER, and that could be because mono MAY degrade quicker in the elements. In order to test that, I will have to leave out some lines in the weather, and test them in a few weeks. Bottom line, my motivation is to find the line that is the thinnest, strongest, least visible, and holds up the longest for leaders. I care none whether that ultimately is mono or fluoro. That is why I am taking my time to do some simple testing. Your motivation seems to be to dispute EVERYTHING I post. How about you do a little reasearch or tinkering on your own, and report what you find. When you get something concrete to back all your theories, pleses let us all know.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude
quote:

Quote from who? Just think how I feel (duped) after purchasing easily $1,000 of Fluoro in the last few years thinking it was more abrasion resistant along with the other qualities such as less visible and less stret

Pretty technical thread, Try the clear Yozuri Hibrid I use the 20lbs inshore. Can’t tell you how many fish we have pulled from the grass with no problems.

Capt. Tim Deckard

Daily Charters -> http://BeaufortCastawayCharter.com

In the end (or on the end) it will all come down to what you are confident in. Whether it’s line, lure, color, bait, or equipment. no wrong answers here, go with what you know. Confidence and comfort are paramount in fishing…and life!

Capt. Tim Cutting
www.fishthegeorgiacoast.com

quote:
Originally posted by TowBoat Tim

Pretty technical thread, Try the clear Yozuri Hibrid I use the 20lbs inshore. Can’t tell you how many fish we have pulled from the grass with no problems.

Capt. Tim Deckard

Daily Charters -> http://BeaufortCastawayCharter.com

Sounds like a good tip, and several folks have suggested this to me. I will do this. Thanks!

Moral judgment under girds the entire structure of laws and is necessary for the rational structure of any significant statute. The idea that our laws can stand independent of moral foundation is senseless.----- Albert Mohler.