Anyone using standard fluorocarbon for leaders?

Just wondering if anyone is using standard (ie, bulk spool) fluorocarbon for leaders, esp for inshore (reds, trout, etc)?

I definitely prefer using 20lb fluoro leader like Seagaur or even the Triplefish stuff, I like the durability over 20lb mono.

I know the stuff in the bulk fluorocarbon spools is not as stiff or abrasion resistant as dedicated leader material, but it still has to be better than mono, and is 1/3 the price of the dedicated leader stock.

I’m eyeballing the stuff from Bass Pro Shops but willing to try anything else.

My main lines are 10# Sufix Elite, 12# Momoi, or 10# Power Pro.

Moral judgment under girds the entire structure of laws and is necessary for the rational structure of any significant statute. The idea that our laws can stand independent of moral foundation is senseless.----- Albert Mohler.

I have been using Yozuri hybrid for several years. I have no complaints about it.

Yes.

I use berkeley vanish 20# flouro fishing line for leader. The $12, 250-yard spool seems to last forever. I still rig up a few rods with regular flouro leader for guests or if I’m “really trying” (as opposed to usual anchoring up and listening to music with rods out technique.) I don’t see any major differences. Frankly, I didn’t see any huge differences between mono and flouro.

I know the fluoro leader I’ve been using (Seagaur and TripleFish) last a lot longer, they don’t get chewed up nearly as easily.

I’ll see about some of the Vanish. I think it still has to be an improvement over mono.

Moral judgment under girds the entire structure of laws and is necessary for the rational structure of any significant statute. The idea that our laws can stand independent of moral foundation is senseless.----- Albert Mohler.

I use whatever I can find whenever I am in the store currently I’m using 20 lb Triplefish. It has been working for me.

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha
Big Ugly Homemade Blue Push Pole

fluoro line for leader for me. i haven’t been able to tell a lot of difference. usually 15-20 lb. w/uni to 20lb braid.

Capt. Tim Cutting
www.fishthegeorgiacoast.com

The fluoro line made for spooling up (on average) is NOT more abrasion resistant than high quality mono. Up until recently, I assumed ANY fluoro was going to be better (tougher) than mono for leader material because it is harder and more dense. After some independent testing, this is absolutely false. Believe what you will, but when you do some controlled testing by rubbing different lines under the same strain back and forth over a given abrasive surface and recording the length of time before failure, you will find mono holds up better. I was STUNNED after making several comparisons. The winner overall in testing 5 of each (mono and fluoro) was Sufix Seige. Next, I will be testing fluoro made just for leaders v. mono and hard-type mono. I will post a report upon completion.

RADDADDY, are you making any videos of your testing? That would be great, and I’d love to see it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by HoofArded

RADDADDY, are you making any videos of your testing? That would be great, and I’d love to see it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha

Hoof- I have never posted a video, but I will see if I can figure it out.

Interesting stuff Ron. Given I came from the offshore world flurocarbon was really for gaining more strikes especially due to its low vis properties when it came to Tuna fishing not so much for the wearability factors. Ron can you also talk about line diameter as well when comparing the two. It seems that fluro leader 25lb clas is thicker than standard fluro 25lb or even mono. I will be eagerly awaiting Professor Rads Report b/c it would save me some money on leader material!!:smiley:

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

Rad:

I agree that mono is tougher and assumed that everyone else thought so too. I thought people moved over to flouro -even knowing it was more fragile -because it is less visible and absorbant. I can’t quantify those things so I’ve admittedly just followed the herd. And now pay more and re-tie more without knowing if it’s worth it.

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY Hoof- I have never posted a video, but I will see if I can figure it out.

Me neither. I have a couple of good MP4 fishing videos that I’d like to share, but my computer is too old to try to edit them. I’m not sure if my iPad could do it, but it’s such a pain to move things onto and off of it that I’m not going to even try. Mrs HoofArded said I can get a new PC soon. Once I get the go ahead on that, I’ll get some of mine edited and up.

Good luck. The older I get, the more complicated this stuff seems. Pretty soon my 2 year old will be teaching me. :smiley:

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

The fluoro line made for spooling up (on average) is NOT more abrasion resistant than high quality mono. Up until recently, I assumed ANY fluoro was going to be better (tougher) than mono for leader material because it is harder and more dense. After some independent testing, this is absolutely false. Believe what you will, but when you do some controlled testing by rubbing different lines under the same strain back and forth over a given abrasive surface and recording the length of time before failure, you will find mono holds up better. I was STUNNED after making several comparisons. The winner overall in testing 5 of each (mono and fluoro) was Sufix Seige. Next, I will be testing fluoro made just for leaders v. mono and hard-type mono. I will post a report upon completion.

I wouldn’t dispute what you’re saying. I will say this, I definitely get longer life out of fluoro leader material than with spool-quality mono (Trilene Big Game).

Why don’t we do this. If we really want to test this stuff, let’s all meet up one afternoon, bring whatever lines we have lying around (fluoro spool, leader, mono etc) and do some abrasion tests for fun, maybe do some bbq or something. Heck I’m just looking for an excuse to throw another pork roast on the smoker. I can provide a few grits of sandpaper that we can use for a more controlled test.

Videos are very easy to post. Just take the video and upload it to Photobucket just like you would a photo (it does take a while to upload). Post the link and we should be able to see it.

Gonna have to disagree…I fish a ton of stucture. here’s a quote that is pretty much universal

Fluorocarbon line has superior strength and resistance to abrasion when you compare it to monofilament. You can pull a large bass, for example, out of heavy vegetation like lily pads with fluorocarbon line, whereas monofilament may snap under the same amount of pressure. Monofilament absorbs water, while fluorocarbon does not; this causes monofilament to stretch more. A bite by a fish on monofilament will not feel the same as one on fluorocarbon line; an angler will feel the fish biting on the latter more acutely than on monofilament

Read more: Monofilament Vs. Fluorocarbon Fishing Lines | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6679201_monofilament-vs_-fluorocarbon-fishing-lines.html#ixzz2QZeRyN3T

Capt. Tim Cutting
www.fishthegeorgiacoast.com

Quote from who? Just think how I feel (duped) after purchasing easily $1,000 of Fluoro in the last few years thinking it was more abrasion resistant along with the other qualities such as less visible and less stretch. Every saltwater outfit I own is spooled with braid with a fluoro leader. I am not disputing the latter 2 points, but abrasion resistance is a JOKE compared to mono. Want to see for yourself? Take equal lb. test strengths of mono v. fluoro. and tie a weight on the end. Secure an abrasive medium such as a butter knife, file, barnacle encrusted stake, etc. to a vise. Pull the line against the abrasive medium at whatever angle you choose back and forth and SEE which fails first. I defended Fluoro to the end until I was shown differently by my father who was a technician in the field of industrial fibers for 33 years. Knot strength, loop strength, and abrasion resistance is MUCH less than spoolable fluoro… period, in tests that measure these 3 properties. It will SHOCK you to actually witness the difference. I fell into what the industry told me to believe as well. It is actually very disappointing.

quote:
Originally posted by gratefulred

Gonna have to disagree…I fish a ton of stucture. here’s a quote that is pretty much universal

Fluorocarbon line has superior strength and resistance to abrasion when you compare it to monofilament. You can pull a large bass, for example, out of heavy vegetation like lily pads with fluorocarbon line, whereas monofilament may snap under the same amount of pressure. Monofilament absorbs water, while fluorocarbon does not; this causes monofilament to stretch more. A bite by a fish on monofilament will not feel the same as one on fluorocarbon line; an angler will feel the fish biting on the latter more acutely than on monofilament

Read more: Monofilament Vs. Fluorocarbon Fishing Lines | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6679201_mon

Should say, “Knot strength, loop strength, and abrasion resistance is much MORE than spoolable fluoro”. (with mono)

I definitely remember the early days of Berkely Vanish. It was by far the worst fishing line I’ve ever used in my life. Twists, wind knots, brittle, horribly exaggerated memory. I gave up on it after 2 ruined fishing (crappie) trips. And that was either 6 or 8lb line.

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

Quote from who? Just think how I feel (duped) after purchasing easily $1,000 of Fluoro in the last few years thinking it was more abrasion resistant along with the other qualities such as less visible and less stretch. Every saltwater outfit I own is spooled with braid with a fluoro leader. I am not disputing the latter 2 points, but abrasion resistance is a JOKE compared to mono. Want to see for yourself? Take equal lb. test strengths of mono v. fluoro. and tie a weight on the end. Secure an abrasive medium such as a butter knife, file, barnacle encrusted stake, etc. to a vise. Pull the line against the abrasive medium at whatever angle you choose back and forth and SEE which fails first. I defended Fluoro to the end until I was shown differently by my father who was a technician in the field of industrial fibers for 33 years. Knot strength, loop strength, and abrasion resistance is MUCH less than spoolable fluoro… period, in tests that measure these 3 properties. It will SHOCK you to actually witness the difference. I fell into what the industry told me to believe as well. It is actually very disappointing.

quote:
Originally posted by gratefulred

Fluorocarbon line has superior strength and resistance to abrasion when you compare it to monofilament. You can pull a large bass, for example, out of heavy vegetation like lily pads with fluorocarbon line, whereas monofilament may snap under the same amount of pressure. Monofilament absorbs water, while fluorocarbon does not; this causes monofilament to stretch more. A bite by a fish on monofilament will not feel the same as one on fluorocarbon line; an angler will feel the