AR Questions

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart

Thank you all for the wealth of information. Archer, pardon my ignorance, but what’s the difference between the AR-15 and the AR-10? In the event of WWIII and/or a zombie apocalypse, which would y’all rather have?

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

An AR 15 since parts are interchangeable, mags are readily available and can be scavenged along with lots of 223 ammo likely around in a post apocalyptic scenario. If you want a long range gun, get a 308 in an MIA or bolt action so you don’t have to worry about breakage or cleaning, get plenty of mags for it and stock up on ammo.

That would give you a patrol rifle that is easily fixable, etc. and a long range rifle for other duties.

IMO, a great SHTF safe would have an AR 15, 15-20 30 round mags, an MIA 308, or Remington 700 bolt, about 5000-10000 rounds of .223, 2000 or more rounds of 308, a Ruger 10/22 with mags and as much ammo as you can store, and a 1911 or Glock full size with 5000-10000 rounds. Of course optics, and lights, batteries, slings, holsters, and bags to suit your preference.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

A SHTF situation would almost mandate surviving with a pellet gun. Stealth would be your best defense against other people. A shotgun with buckshot would be your best close range antipersonnel weapon and a scoped deer rifle could cover the long range work. With enough skill you could kill deer with a 22 caliber pellet. A pellet gun doesn’t need to be cleaned and you can fit 500 rounds in one pocket. A bow would be good to have too.

First, Most, Biggest

I was going to say a few things but they’ve all been said above.

So, I will just reiterate that piston AR’s A LOT easier to clean. The standard direct impingement system works well (keep it “wet” and it won’t freeze up) but makes the rifle really dirty.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

So I’ve done some research, and it looks like the DI is the way to go based on cost, weight and reliability. Does anyone have or know of a pre-assembled model that shoots the .556 that they’d recommend? Again, thanks for all your input.

BB, the $499 sale on the PSA AR-15 is incredibly hard to beat (so is $699 for an AR-10). Their rifles are chambered 5.56 so they shoot both 5.56 and .223.

No offense to any other shop in town but this is what PSA cut their teeth on. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better rifle for the money or a more knowledgeable staff to talk to about an AR.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

That one that PSA has on sale right now does. That’s one of the best deals out there right now, if you just want an out of the box rifle that you can shoot and add to later on. Their stuff is all really good and their selection is second to none.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Bart

before you go off half-cocked and all buying more guns, I need to know if you got your boat fixed proper.

-wishes Macdaddy would come home

Bart, if you need help, from someone in the industry, and a safe full of AR’s, gimme a shout. Glad to help, glad to assist in your BUILD if you want to go that route, and glad to assist any FFL needs you may have.

I see some good advice on here, and some that is questionable.

First question about choosing an AR is what is the intended purpose of the rifle.
Second question is budget.

After that, it’s easy.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Dangit, Pod! Don’t make me call D-Free!..

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

That one that PSA has on sale right now does. That’s one of the best deals out there right now, if you just want an out of the box rifle that you can shoot and add to later on. Their stuff is all really good and their selection is second to none.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Do you, by chance, have a link? I’ve looked at their website, but am not sure of the exact model you’re talking about. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Do you, by chance, have a link? I’ve looked at their website, but am not sure of the exact model you’re talking about. Thanks.

I saw that posted on the Mt P store facebook page. I don’t see it on the website.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

Think it was an in-store only deal.

Only problem with an entry level rifle like that is that you will want to upgrade it. That means you’re paying for parts that you’re going to take off and put in a drawer somewhere…

Wadmalaw native

PSA website and store are two different things. Bart, you should hit Nichols and your other stores around Charlotte, then drive down to Cola and hit PSA, Sportsmans Whse, Shooter’s Choice, etc. Make a day of it.

This is it, they just have it out of stock on the website.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-freedom-rifle.html

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Word to the wise, don’t go buy an AR because it’s on special. Decide whether you want an integrated carry handle with A2 sight, a removeable carry handle with flip up sights or a flat top with flip up or no sights. I like optics on most long guns. I had a carry handle on it when I acquired it along with one on an old Colt National Match, hated them. Went to a flat top PSA upper with an A2 sight, it’s being frankensteined to be free floated and no sights. Got another PSA upper with a stainless barrel and no sights, put a Leupold Mark AR 1.5X40 on it, and now really enjoy it. Rides around on the front seat of the Gator as my hog gun plus my 5yo can even shoot it.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Bart, if you are having to purchase online, here a nice setup on sale as well that is a step up from the special. SS barrel, mid length gas, and MOE furniture make the gun much more appealing, and feels better. You will probably prefer the longer sight field as well on this system.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-moe-freedom-carbine.html

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

What are you planning to shoot with it Bart? Hell in 1968 we qualified with an M16A at 450 yards and hit 1/2 man size targets! Just the upper silhouette! That was with a rear peep and a front post! If you can shoot,you can shoot!

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Only problem with an entry level rifle like that is that you will want to upgrade it. That means you’re paying for parts that you’re going to take off and put in a drawer somewhere…

</font id=“red”>Wadmalaw native

If you’re going to get the AR build bug, that is inevitable. Besides, not every “entry level rifle” is built the same. To lump them all into one pile is doing yourself a huge disservice.

Entry level rifles are perfect for people uncertain as to the depth they want to go, if at all, into the AR market. A base model PSA is heads and shoulders above an entry level Bushmaster, DPMS, Wyndham, S&W M&P-15…and it costs less to get into…and it’s locally produced.

Earn it everyday

quote:
Originally posted by archer
quote:

If you’re going to get the AR build bug, that is inevitable. Besides, not every “entry level rifle” is built the same. To lump them all into one pile is doing yourself a huge disservice.

Entry level rifles are perfect for people uncertain as to the depth they want to go, if at all, into the AR market. A base model PSA is heads and shoulders above an entry level Bushmaster, DPMS, Wyndham, S&W M&P-15…and it costs less to get into…and it’s locally produced.

Earn it everyday

I would love to see some objective evidence saying a PSA rifle is anywhere close to a Bushy or DPMS, hell even the M&P15.

Also, be careful how you throw around “locally produced,” lots of their parts are farmed out to the cheapest bidder…

You sound very confident in your argument, which would lead me to believe you have put tens of thousands of rounds through each of these? Or seen some torture testing?

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by archer
quote:

Earn it everyday

Heads and shoulders? I would say they are all about the same. You can add Spikes Tactical to that list as well.

The only ones that are heads and shoulders above would be a Noveske and Daniel Defense to name a few.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115