AR Upper???

I bought a PSA lower a few months ago. Obviously I need a complete upper. I am learning about AR’s but my knowledge is limited. I like the looks of this one. I already have a full AR in the “standard” issue style so I wanted something different with this one. Besides not having a BCG or a CH, what else would I need and is this a decent one?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-freedom-upper-with-mbus-sight-set-no-bcg-or-ch-516444706.html?trk_msg=F9QS4AKQ36B4P4AIE1PA2TG7DO&trk_contact=7ILB8URAQE5F2OIE5CO8B8SO20&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fpalmettostatearmory.com%2Fpsa-16-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-freedom-upper-with-mbus-sight-set-no-bcg-or-ch-516444706.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3A00+Email

That lightweight pencil barrel and that handguard should make a light setup for sure.

To put the “deal” in perspective, the MBUS sights on it are about $80 or so for the set usually.

With a BCG and a CH, that thing is ready to go.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I was hoping you’d chime in. What should I look for in a BCG & CH, anything specific?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I must really be getting old. When talking about “uppers” or “lowers”, guns are not the first thing comes to mind. Glad I read the entire post before offering my expert opinion.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

Not really…some go crazy for certain kinds of testing they go through and stuff, but unless you’re going to war with it, even the cheap PSA units will serve you fine.

Wadmalaw native

1:7 will limit you on ammo. Won’t stabilize heavier bullets. Also saw a review on YouTube where it was only about 2" moa accuracy.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

M4 carbine isn’t designed to shoot 300yds accurately. Its a much more close quarters weapon. That upper will do nicely for a short to medium range. Plus, it’ll look cool doing it.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

1:7 will limit you on ammo. Won’t stabilize heavier bullets. Also saw a review on YouTube where it was only about 2" moa accuracy.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

The faster the twist the heavier the bullet you can stabilize. I.e. If you’re shooting a 1:10, then 50-55grn is about as heavy as you’ll shoot accurately. A 1:7 will get you in the 70-75grn range or higher depending on the bullet. Varmint rifles tend to have slower twist rates, for instance a .308 Rem 700 varmint will be 1:12 and won’t typically shoot 165’s as well as it does 150’s, however a 1:11 or 1:10 will shoot both.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

You’re right, I got it backwards.

Should be good to go at carbine length and 1:7 twist. For $300, give it a go. If you can’t get a load that it will eat reliably and give you .5-1 MOA, then just sell it and get something else. Looks really cool with that M lok handgurd.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks for all the input. I’m never really looking to shoot things at 300 yards, 100-150 would probably be max. Odds are, it will sit in my closet and one of my boys will end up with it at some point.

Yep, BCG and charging handle and your all set, assuming your lower is complete. Just snap them together and your good to go. Having the nitride barrel is nice too.

Not sure if you built your own lower, or just grabbed a complete one all setup, but if you have a standard trigger, I highly recommend upgrading. They aren’t cheap, but they completely transform these stock ARs. I can barely shoot a stock trigger anymore. Groups get much tighter and it’s just more fun when you hit what you are aiming at more often.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Okay, last question…I hope.

They have the one I posted above as well as another one that is similar. Differences are:

The one posted above: Carbine-length vs. Mid-length
M4 Barrel profile vs. A2 Style Profile
Melonite Barrel Finish vs. Nitride Finish
13.5: M-Lok Lightweight Rail vs. PSA 12" precision Keymod Rail

Anything that makes the “other” upper more desirable?

Thanks

The mid length gas system definitely helps. I have the MI keymod rail on mine with a 18" heavy barrel. You’ll get better performance out of the mid length system. The gas travels farther down the barrel before some of it is bled off to cycle the action, thus staying behind the bullet longer.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Mid-length gas system, will be less recoil than carbine length, and rifle length a little less than that. This is due to the “dwell time” being reduced. Dwell time is basically the amount of time the pressurized gas has to act on the operating system. A midlength gas system will reduce the dwell time, thus slowing the movement of the BCG and reducing FELT recoil.

Here’s a link I bookmarked on gas systems and their explanation:
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/9/24/ar-gas-system-lengths-explained/

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

M4 carbine isn’t designed to shoot 300yds accurately. Its a much more close quarters weapon.

Huh?

Accurately, meaning driving tacks at 300yds, (**(). You could definitely ring steel at 300yds, but unless you’re putting a lot into a good trigger, scope and other goodies, most people carrying them are planning on having to use them in close quarters, hence the widespread use of red dot sights and 1x scopes that aquire a sight picture quickly.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

Accurately, meaning driving tacks at 300yds, (**(). You could definitely ring steel at 300yds, but unless you’re putting a lot into a good trigger, scope and other goodies, most people carrying them are planning on having to use them in close quarters, hence the widespread use of red dot sights and 1x scopes that aquire a sight picture quickly.

The rifle was absolutely designed to be effective on man sized targets much past 300 yards, with nothing more than iron sights or a red dot.

DFree, head on over to m4carbine.net if you want to do any further research on AR’s.