Are Racecar Drivers Athletes?

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Absolutely not, all they do is drive a car, big deal.

Michael Jordan played basketball and baseball. Bo Jackson played football and baseball. Jim Thorpe did it all. Deion Sanders played football and baseball for nine seasons, Deion also ran a 40 in 4.6 seconds backwards!!,4.19 forward. Jim Brown, Jackie-Joyner Kersee, Cheryl Miller. I could keep listing…

you so funny! shows your lack of knowledge on racing. but please keep listing other sports. Offensive and defensive linemen cannot run 4.4 40s. Does that make them any less of an athlete than a wide receiver? No, it makes them a different type of athlete.

Driving a car down the highway at 70-80 mph is very different from driving a race car around a track at 200 mph for four hours. With temps reaching 120 degrees and no water boy to help. I think it takes physical skill and stamina to deal with that.

Neat topic Black Bart! Racing of all kinds is a sport in my Book and the drivers are athletes. Add in motorcross and I believe you have the most demanding sport out there. …

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I’m gonna respectfully disagree and stick with my answer. Take a look at this video, and the difference between drivers and actual athletes should be a little more clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztHfr5uBIqk

Oh, and that guy also bench-pressed 700lbs…

I do, however, agree with you that some motocross riders, particularly the freestyle guys, a

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Easy

How many of them could drive a car going 200 MPH, in traffic, for 500 miles and have a chance of winning:question:

Funny you say that, Easy, because your point has always been my primary fuel in making the opposite point:

Athletes’ bodies are their “primary” tool in their given sport; for them, the ball, racket or whatever is complimentary to them. With a race car driver, the CAR is the primary tool. That’s why guys in their mid-forties and women who’ve never even sniffed a first-place finish can compete at the same level…

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

You beat me to it.

What “professional sport” can a 34 year old 5’2" 100# woman be a middle of the road player at besides NASCAR?
Danica Patrick places 24th of the 51 eligible for sprint points. At worst shes 24 of 32 as only 32 placed in all races.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NASCAR_Sprint_Cup_Series

Off the top of my head I can’t think of a single sport where a woman could even think about being in the top several thousand if she competed against men particularly so with such a small woman.

Its not cardio and not strength so I guess its just getting used to sitting in a hot car for hours at a time. Are food truck cooks also athletes now too?

Talk about giving participation trophies out!

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

Its not cardio and not strength so I guess its just getting used to sitting in a hot car for hours at a time. Are food truck cooks also athletes now too?

I guess we both agree that we disagree. Do the Rusty Wallace NASCAR driving experience like BlueSky suggested. You’ll see it’s a lot of cardio and strength. I’m not talking about our weekend warriors that run to bowman to make a few 1/8 mile passes or the 440 dirt track class. Come go with me to Tony Stewart’s shop and talk with him or any other nascar driver on what they do to stay fit. Got to be in top shape to keep all the fans happy and win.

I have noticed that not a lot of liberals seem to care for racing?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I don’t because it’s not a sport. WWF or whatever it’s called nowadays is more of a sport and it’s not even real. On the rare occasion that I watch racing I prefer F1, motorcycle, or drag. All require more skill and less viewer investment.

Want some more non athletic sports? Most fishing, hunting, and shooting. Can they be grueling under the right circumstances? Yes but not usually

First, Most, Biggest

I guess a backhoe operator is also an athlete. It requires skill, eye, hand, leg and body control, intense concentration for hours…

See my point

Fred, the liberals will be flocking to NASCAR, now that they have endorsed Trans Gender Restrooms! Not only do they approve that, they will like that the cars only go to the Left!

quote:
Originally posted by Fishb8

I guess a backhoe operator is also an athlete. It requires skill, eye, hand, leg and body control, intense concentration for hours…

See my point

You’re wrong, Fish. These guys are peas in a pod. No disrespect to Pea Pod…:wink:

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

While I don’t claim to be an athlete, unless 12 oz curls are the sport. I will say, while racing here at the Greenville/Pickens Speedway back in the 90’s. I’d often have friends come out to Saturday practice wanting to give the car a try. This was before we were allowed to have power steering. Most didn’t have the stregnth to turn left at the end of the shoot at 40-50 mph, let alone full speed. Athletes or not, Race Drivers are due the respect they deserve for the skills they posess.

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same.

When they come for my guns and ammo. I plan on giving them the ammo. first!

overweight rednecks is what comes to mind when I hear NASCAR ,burning up gasoline whilst driving in circles must not be attractive to folks anymore. something is going on…

http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberttuchman/2015/02/23/what-has-happened-to-the-once-high-flying-sport-of-nascar/

http://beyondtheflag.com/2016/03/11/instead-addressing-issues-nascar-circles-wagon/#

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/NASCAR-Televison-Ratings-2016

edit: want to watch quality racing? tune in Formula One, or Indy Car racing.

Maybe some race car drivers are athletes and other are not.

If you can do this for hours on end for several days straight, you’re an athlete.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

If you can do this for hours on end for several days straight, you’re an athlete.

what??? Shi t their pants? what it looks like is happening.....that does takes an athlete to crap that long.
quote:
Originally posted by Fishb8
quote:
Originally posted by Too Busy

Spend 3 or 4 hours suited up in a screaming hot car and you might change your mind. It’s very physically demanding.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

So is digging a ditch, but that doesn’t make you an athlete. Lots of things are physically demanding but you don’t have to be an athlete to do them.

Not even close, I ran an excavator 10 hours Saturday and spend 11 on a backhoe Sunday. I’ve run pretty much any piece of equipment you can name (yes I can back it up). Racing has it bet hands down, pretty much any racing. Never baja raced, but done most everything else. Now I just work and tune on em.

I’ll end with … LIFE IS GOOD! if nothing else racing is better than wrestling and the Minnesota Vikings.

quote:

o

edit: want to watch quality racing? tune in Formula One, or Indy Car racing.

:question: What the heck bolly:question: Your slaming racecar driving and then calling it quality?

I don’t think BB specified a specific style of race car driving? Did you Black Bart?

is Bruce Jenner an athlete ?

Not any more!:wink: Are TV wrestlers athletes, or performers:question:

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

Ate many a box of Wheaties growing up and admired Bruce a lot. Yes he was an athlete, a very good one imo. and no not any longer, his days of being an athlete are long gone… :roll_eyes: All the fuss to be a woman but refuses to remove his teeteebug because he likes sex with women. One confused man. Sadly we’ll probably see him go down a pathetic down hill slide.

Fred, I don’t even want to see him, go down:face_with_head_bandage:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott

what??? Shi t their pants? what it looks like is happening.....that does takes an athlete to crap that long.

Hit YouTube and search world rally championship. That jump is not uncommon. The beating those guys, the co-drivers and cars take is astonishing. A rally generally has 5 or more stages across most of a week, some at night, some in snow at night. And, their ability to control their cars while taking the beatings is hard to believe.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P-K

Ate many a box of Wheaties growing up and admired Bruce a lot. Yes he was an athlete, a very good one imo. and no not any longer, his days of being an athlete are long gone… :roll_eyes: All the fuss to be a woman but refuses to remove his teeteebug because he likes sex with women. One confused man. Sadly we’ll probably see him go down a pathetic down hill slide.

quote:
Originally posted by wearthefishes
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P-K

thank you for the laugh!