Are they here yet?

I keep hearing that I need live bait. I just hate burning up half the morning looking for bait and then trying like hell to keep them alive. Every time I have ever caught one it was trolling a ballyhoo. The guys catching them in Myrtle Beach are using cigar minnows (frozen). I know that kings come in pretty close later in the year so they may not be here yet. A guy in MB caught one last week off the pier that was 28.6lbs. I went out 3 miles on Sat working the tide lines and around CNS dragging artificial and cigars and didn’t get a nibble. Trolling between 4&5 it’s. Any advice is most appreciated.

well first of all, Kings don’t nibble. LOL. Keep trying! Maybe venture more towards one of the near reefs? Possibly just troll the shipping channel? always fish in and out of there! Good luck!

They have been pretty thick for about a month now.

Caught several while reef fishing off Georgetown this morning. A few of them got eaten in half by larger fish while fighting them in!,

How deep were you fishing? Just freelining baits behind the boat?

45 to 50 ft. Carolina rig with mud minnow. Casting behind the boat and off structure. They all seamed to hit at or near the bottom, don’t know if they were following the rig down or if that’s where they were.

Caught a nice one in 40’ today

Flats Aficiando

Was just dragging a spoon and a cigar minnow in and out of the tide lines between the jetties and the Charleston Nearshore. Gotta start going earlier to get the morning bite and trying to venture further out

Went out to the gardens and found them. Slow trolling live menhaden on a plainer was the trick.