Are they worth it?

I have a cheap fishing kayak. It does the job but does not track that good when paddling it & not at all when floating with the current. I knew getting a cheaper beginner one would not tract very well. I was wondering if the nicer ones like the Jackson models track any better when just floating with the current or do they all have this issue. This is my first kayak so still learning. I really enjoy fishing out of it so just wondering if it is worth investing in a nicer kayak.
Thanks…

Will definitely make a difference. Most of the Jackson Kayaks are so wide they are difficult to paddle. Look into something around 13-14’ and 30" wide and you will have plenty of speed and tracking.

I was looking at a 10 to 12 foot one to keep the weight & length down so I can still get it on my truck roof rack easily.
I was looking at the Cuda-12 & Coosa & was kind of leaning toward the Coosa. I like the high low seat, drag chain system, & it seems to be more stable for standing. If anyone has any input on those that would be great.
I was also looking at the Ascend 10T at Basspro, it is half the price as the other two & seems to have decent reviews. Hard to pass up half the price if it is decent compared to the other two.
If anyone is familiar with them all & can give me some insight that would be great.

We have a cheap Future Beach and a Ride 135. Paddling them is as different as night and day. Longer yaks will track better though they usually turn slower. Good, used yaks can be found for a decent price if you look for them. Time Out Sports in Mt. P has a sale at some point and some deals can be found.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I have a 14’ Tarpon. Works really well for me.

Wilderness Ride 135, best and most popular kayak in the Charleston area. Dolphin Dave told me they outsell every other kayak by 2 to 1.

I don’t personally have one, but I have paddled the Ascend 12 foot model sit on top yak…for the price, it seems like a top notch yak… Nothing but good reviews for it all over the internet. I also paddled the Wilderness system Ride 115 and 135 before purchasing my yak…both are very nice boats…stable and paddle well…the 135 actually paddled better than the shorter 115. I’m still pretty new to the kayak game myself, but I’m contemplating putting a rudder on my Big Game 2…Everyone I’ve spoken to about a rudder says it really makes a difference with the tracking in the wind and current.

2003 Key West 1720 Sportsman
2016 Ocean Kayak BG2

I did find some reviews on the Ascend. Only bad things was it track bad & no storage.
How did you think it tracked compared to the Ride 115?

I have a 13.4 Future Beach angler 160 for sale. Just FYI $350, anyone can pm for pics and details.

areeldrag…to me, the Ascend didn’t track quite as well as the Ride 115. The Ride 115 is just a nicer boat all the way around, plus it has a higher weight capacity…but…it’s also much more expensive. The feature that I really liked on the Ride was the electronics mounting pod on the 115X…super clean and easy install of a depth finder and battery. Like I said earlier, I’m fairly new to the world of kayak fishing so my knowledge of various boats and different attributes is pretty limited. Some people say my yak (Ocean Kayak Big Game 2) paddles like a barge…but I think it does ok for a wide fishing yak. I’m sure it doesn’t padlle as easy as a slim, touring yak…but that’s not what it is designed for.

2016 Ocean Kayak BG2

Sounds like the Ascend is probably good deal for the price. Only thing about it I am worried now is will I still be happy with it couple years from now. Not any Kayak sales (not ones that have goo brands) near me. Makes it hard to go check them out. Thanks guys…

How far are you from Charleston? Time Out rents yaks. I had decided to buy a Ride 115 so my son and I went down and rented a 115 and a 135 for the day. After paddling both, I bought the 135. It tracks better and such a great payload capacity. I have not regretted it. My wife has a Tarpon 100. Nice boat but the shorter boats definitely do not track as well. If you think you will get serious about it and stick with it, spend a little more and get something you’ll be happy with a few years down the road.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I am 3.5 to 4 hrs from Charleston so that’s kind of out. I am staying in Murrells Inlet for a week this summer. I will try to find some places near there or MB that has a variety of ones to rent. If you guys know of any in that area let me know.
I really don’t want one too long / heavy. I know they track better but I do not want to deal with a trailer for them. I haul my camper or my boat & I like to be able to put them on the back of the truck or on the roof rack. My current ones are 10ft and around 55# but would be okay with up to 12ft & around 70#.

areeldrag…I feel like the Ascend is a great deal for the $…To be perfectly honest, if the Ascend FS12T had a higher weight capacity, I would have purchased it. I really like how it’s laid out (open deck). My only issue was I’m a big guy and the 350 pound weight capacity was just to close to max for me and gear…that was the deciding factor for me.

2016 Ocean Kayak BG2

I have a coosa hd and its a great kayak. Very stable and has a good weight capacity. I feel like the hull design is built more for maneuverability than speed or tracking. You can move the seat forward and back to trim the kayak the way you want and that can make it track better. Depending on what kind of water you are paddling I will warn you that the coosa does catch the wind more than some other low profile hull designs. If speed is a factor you could also look into the new cuda hd that Jackson just came out with, it has similar specs to the coosa hd as far as weight capacity and size and should have a more efficient hull for covering more area.

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate the input.