Artificial shrimps

I think these would be cool to learn how to use, because you don’t have to worry about catching live ones. I can catch plenty live shrimp but I prefer lures…I have used D.O.A shrimps and have never done to well. I would like to try Zman, but I would like to know if they work well before buying them.

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

In my experience with lures, you gotta be at the right place, right time, right color, etc Ive had limited success with DOA shrimp on shallow flounder & trout. I havent tried Z-Mann shrimps.

The important thing w/ DOA (& all lures) is to tie a loop knot to the lure. This gives the lure more life-like action. I think the knot I tie is called the double-surgeons knot.

'04 Sea Hunt 200 Escape w/ Yami 150

Try some Gulp! 3" Shrimp - Natural color on a 1/4 oz. lead head jig and work them slow. The have outfished live bait for us on many occasions and are responsible for several limits of slot reds. The Gulp! Swimming Mullet in smoke/metalflake color is another good one to try and will also catch reds/trout/flounder. Good Luck. This time of year is really tough. The fish think it is too hot too!

PioneerLouie
Pioneer Venture 175, Johnson 90
Summerville, SC

Thanks!

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

Artificials are something I have been trying to get better on. I actually caught my first fish (13" flounder) on a white Gulp shrimp/jighead combo last month. Denmark is probably right, I have always heard color selection is really important and should be based on water clarity. I have had better luck on MM and FM but will keep trying the fakes as it is nice not to have to rely on finding live bait.

The trout kill the DOA shrimp in the winter in the small creeks. Mainly on the falling to low tide. No corks, just bump the shrimp across the bottom.

I really like the z-man shrimpz. I use a 1/8 oz trigger hook, working it along the bottom with the hook by the head rather than the tail. I recommend getting the pack of 5 scented shrimpz and a pack of trigger hooks for about $10, than the 1 ultraShrimp that includes the hook for $5.

Z-man Ultra ShrimpZ, is the best shrimp in artificial. Got a bunch of pics to prove it. They last forever…

Capt. Brian M.Garris
Reel Deal Charters

www.thereeldealcharters.com
www.zmanfishing.com
www.drslick.com
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.fishmaster.com

Wow! Never expected to get so many responses to this! Thanks guys!

Artificials work year round. I like the DOA and have outfished live bait side by side with them on a few occasions… In fact I put a 23" trout on one bout 2 weeks ago.

you can fish them one of two ways. Solo, or under a cork. If your new to artificials I wouldn’t recommend the solo method as it takes a bit of a “touch” to pull off. But put one under a popping cork and you’ll do fine. Fish a 1/4 oz. shrimp 3’ under a popping cork with 15lb flouro. NO split shot or any form of weight, just the shrimp. Cast up-current… ALWAYS fish with the current, not against it. Let the cork sit for 6 full second… (seriously, count slowly) The shrimp sinks at around .5 feet per second, so 3’ means 6 seconds… After 6 seconds pop the cork… I don’t mean a subtle little rattle… I mean hit it like your mad at it… maybe one or two hits… then count to 6 again… continue doing this until the bait is back at the boat or down current of you… then cast back up current and start again…

If you want to be effective with arties… you need to A.) be patient and fish slowly… and B.) cover alot of water…

good luck to ya… and leave the bait bucket at home…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

With MM here. DOA’s work!!!
Been using the golden bream, and morning glory colors in stained water and the glow/gold rush in cleaner water with good succes all summer.

Newman
www.gtownkingfisher.com

The trick with Gulp Shrimp is to fish them slow…

To quote a friend that proved this trick to me in February…

“If you think you are reeling to fast, you are!
If you think you are reeling too slow, you aren’t”

He equate fishing Jigs in general, and especially Gulp gibs to rubber worm fishing for largemouth bass.

He proved to me that the smaller trout, redfish and snook (I was in South Florida at the time), will hit a faster, jerky retrieve. The big fish require a slow and steady retrieve, just bouncing the oysters, so go light with the jig head, to reduce snags on the oysters too. We fished in 1/8th and 1/16 oz jig heads, in red.

Results in 5 hours of fishing, over a dozen fish each, with total length of the three species each of 62" for me (22" Snook, 22" Red, 18" Trout) and 94" for him (35" Snook, 33" Redfish and 26" Seatrout). We were fishing right next to each other the whole time, using the same bait. My tactic was twitching retrieve, is was a slow, slow plow. The last hour, he had me slow down, and that is when I caught my biggest redfish and seatrout of the day.

He sold me, and have used it ever since, to much greater success.

Those who can’t fish, spend too much on seafood!

Gulp have also worked well for me with flounder and trout. I use 2 - one tied about 8 to 10 inches above the other on 1/4 oz. jig heads. You’d be amazed how many you get on the top jig. I fish them pretty much like you would fish a plastic worm. Slow retrieve and bounce them a bit.

I always used live shrimp until about 3 years ago when I started getting decent with the artificials. I use them under corks and without cork. I was a DOA man until a guy sitting beside me one day turned me on to the “Storm” pink shrimp. I was using a pink DOA and him a pink Storm. He was out fishing me and I switched to his pink Storm and caught more instantly. All I use now is the pink or clear Storm shrimp. Check the action out on these when they are falling. Just my opinion.
Rick

I have used gulps for years since they were introduced and have like them. I just started using z man products and have switched to them.

big dog

I was a Gulp guy until I tried the Z-Man Ultra Shrimpz. Now I’m a huge Z-Man fan, they catch fish and are nearly indestructible. Add a little dab of Pro Cure from time to time and wear 'em out. I’ve caught more flounder this year on the Ultra Shimp / Trigger hook combo than on live bait.

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

I fish live bait and plastics. What is this trigger hook I hear about, can someone explain how it looks or maybe post a picture of one. I’m kinda old school and don’t know what they are. Thanks

You can’t catch fish on a dry line

Thanks for all he help!