artificials?? anyone.

well I’m going to try my shot at some slow troll king action and possibly do some live bait at the wrecks while bottom bumping…

I thought I had some lighter live bait rods (set of 4) but I was told they are king trolling rods(just a bit stiffer) so I was adviced to rig them for slow trolling and use my other 2 light 7ft live bait rods for live baiting.

so has anyone pulled xraps or rap mags with any success? any other artificial’s I should look at? ive herd spoons(aka drones) can produce…

sorry just looking for some advice.

Rapala X raps I’ve done well with. The Manns stretch lures seem to pop up I don’t know why people like them. Drone spoons on a planer also work. If your looking for size live bait is key. Learn how to live bait rigs using haywire twists treble hooks and spro swivels. Tons of you tube videos out there showing it

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

quote:
Originally posted by TTKarl

Rapala X raps I’ve done well with. The Manns stretch lures seem to pop up I don’t know why people like them. Drone spoons on a planer also work. If your looking for size live bait is key. Learn how to live bait rigs using haywire twists treble hooks and spro swivels. Tons of you tube videos out there showing it

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

ive honestly never king fished but figured I would give it a shot… size is honestly 0 concern to me… its more the fact I feel I’m producing fish…

I have 20 or so live bait stinger rigs single strand haywire twist… and 3 live bait setups which I plan to try at the reefs…

I just wanted to pull a few once I got outside the jetty’s to the spots…

Large drone spoons on a #2 planer work well.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

I know people catch kings in the shipping channel every year. If it was me though I would live bait over the artificial reefs, like the Chas 60 or Y-73. The AJs can be a pain sometimes though. If you want to pull some plugs get a Maps unique chart and and start in about 70 ft and work your way out from spot to spot. I know people try to pull plugs out to the nearshore reef then fish it. To me your time is better spent a little farther out. I’m no expert but I catch the most kings between 50 and 115 ft.

Also the planers sometimes need a pretty stiff rod. You might be better looking for a used downrigger you can get them for a deal if you keep your eye out on craigslist and the swap shop. Buy your downrigger balls online from pete’s sink-hers. You’ll get a much better deal and the flat rate shipping is the ticket. Pretty nice guy too.

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

From my dumb question department: Are kings around right now? I always assumed they preferred warmer water, that they left the area in Nov/Dec and returned when the water warmed up in Mar/Apr?

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

quote:
Originally posted by bonecrusher

From my dumb question department: Are kings around right now? I always assumed they preferred warmer water, that they left the area in Nov/Dec and returned when the water warmed up in Mar/Apr?

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

As far as I know your right.

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

This time of year I prefer light lining cigar minnows will bottom fishing in 90 to 110’ the kings are still around live bottom this time of year.We caught a couple kings the week of Christmas and plenty of trigger fish and vermillions out around the garden area.

I was talking more spring nad such.