Artificials

Anyone have trouble with the trash fish biting the tails off of soft plastics? Anyone got any remedies other than not using them or not fishing?? Thanks in advance.

Topwater, mirrodine, Rat-L-Trap, Z-Man, etc.

Z man plastics dont get cut like the others do. Something to do with the process they use to make them. Zman is also a a local company

I have the same problem with the Gulp and tried going to the Z-Man and using the scent to put on it. I tried it a couple of times and went back to the Gulp. I would rather buy more Gulp but catch more fish. The Z-Man will get their tails snipped off from time to time too, but not near as often as the Gulp will. I will give anything a whirl and see how it performs for me and then make a decision because every store wants to push something different to use. Even with the tails off of the Gulp, you can still sight cast it to Red and they will still eat it just because of the strong scent. Just my 2cent…

Suggest you cut the tail off of the Gulp and put it on a jig head backwards. The head of the Gulp is to large for most pins and I have not noticed a decrease in the catch.

Suggest you cut the tail off of the Gulp and put it on a jig head backwards. The head of the Gulp is to large for most pins and I have not noticed a decrease in the catch.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We’ll try them all and throw in a few ideas of our own. I’ll post the results once they’re tried out a few times.

zman

“In every species of fish I’ve angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn’t, much of the thrill of angling would be gone.” Ray Bergman

lol, this thread started complaining about the tail getting bitten off. Loved the idea of cutting the tail off. May work but lmao!

Hide the food stamps under their working boots.
Manta Ray 14’

Jig, an interesting concept about cutting off the tail. However, since the problem is the tail keeps getting bit off, why in the world would someone actually cut off the tail first? I think someone is trying to have some fun with someone else!!

I read an article sometime in last year or so where the guy did exactly that. He would cut the tails off and rig the hook backwards in the shrimp and used either a Carolina rig or Texas rig. He claimed it worked since shrimp usually scoot away backwards from their prey. Sounds plausible but I bet Barbawang could address the “scooting” habits of shrimp.

here is one that they won’t bite off

http://capt-tim.blogspot.com/

Capt. Tim Cutting
www.fishthegeorgiacoast.com